Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

System Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 05:48 PM
Banned

System Suggestions

Okay, after many months of consideration, I think I'm ready to finally build up a modest system for my car. I'd like some suggestions on something that won't go over the top and maintain the versatility of the vehicle. Here are some of my thoughts:

1. Install a Kicker shallow-mount 8 inch sub in the factory enclosure I bought from Mike. Saves space and looks relatively stock. Problem is that I'd have to disassemble most of the rear interior to install it and I wonder if the price/performance is worth the headache.

2. Install two Kicker shallow-mount 6.5 inch subs in the rear doors, components or coaxials in the front. Run the subs mono, have true stereo stage imaging in the front. Problem is I don't know if those little subs have enough punch or if they'll do well in the door panel. Again, price/performance headache.

3. Install a couple 12s of whateva in a box in the back. Great price/performance ratio, little effort in install. Problem is the big box taking up the rear cargo area and the visibility from the outside.

4. Build a custom, drop-in enclosure for the rear cargo area and lose the two-tier cargo and possibly the spare tire. Advantages and disadvantages are obvious.

I listen to metal, classic rock, and occasional pop. I don't really need hard-hitting bass to rattle the hatch cruising Wal-Mart, just enough to feel a good fill.

Discuss.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:21 AM

How about making a custom fiberglass enclosure in the trey that's above the spare tire and below the moveable "shelf" ? It's shallow, but it would probably work with a nice 8" sub.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:23 PM

Jim, I do still have that audiobahn box with 2 12's I'd let you have cheap, even meet ya half way to deliver it! LOL

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...ight=audiobahn
Old 09-19-2008, 01:03 PM

I thought about 6 3/4 inch subs in the rear doors. The problems are that it is too small for any real bass, and anybody sitting in the back will get terrible sound.

I had the same considerations as you. My car is my daily driver. It needs to be functional for my entire family. I need the versatility to carry things, like a few weeks ago when I fit a twin mattress in the back.

I think my solution works pretty good. I am very happy with my sound, and the system is not very visible from outside. I still have both of my rear cargo compartments under the floor. I even gained a compartment (the one I made where the factory sub used to be). The only loss is a few inches of depth in the back, but the seats still fold down. I listen to the same type of music as you, and my bass is more that adequate. I actually keep the gain turned down so it doesnt overpower the rest of the speakers.

Mine is a basic system-Polk separates in the front, full in the rear, and a 10 inch Infinity Kappa sub in a box I built. 2 amps on the passanger seat back mounted on a piece of plywood, with 2 distribution blocks-one for positive and one for negative. Crossovers are mounted in the driverside back next to the tail lights. It was simple there, since I used the factory speaker wires. I just ran the amp outputs to that area and taped into the factory harness that went to the factory amp (I had the premium system).
Old 10-05-2008, 02:31 PM

hey I just swapped out my factory speakers with alpine type s speakers, the problem I am having is that the speakers are rattling the interior parts of the door any suggestions?
Old 10-05-2008, 02:39 PM

did the same thing here, swapped the stock speakers for Alpines
it's worth every penny of the investment, makes the stock (I've got the Pioneer) system have so much more depth for a $200 investment.

Still not sure what I'm going to do with the sub or add an amp, even with the Pioneer the system is completly underpowered.

As far as the rattle goes, Dynomat is the answer, I've done everything except the rear panel area (winter project, when I figure out what to do with the sub). Dynomat makes a night/day difference.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:56 AM

This Spammer has been Busted

uvwx716
Old 11-25-2008, 05:11 AM

If #1 is what you originaly wanna do then I would go for that.....its really not all that difficult to take everything apart and get to that spot. Plus once your done you will probably be glad you went with this option just to keep all the cargo space..... as far as the 2 12's, yeah it will take up most of your room but you can always just unplug the box and yank it out. What I did is went with 1 Kicker 12" L7...doesnt even take up half the cargo room so I still have a pretty fair amount of space and I can still lay the back seats flat too if I need extra room. Or like I mentioned, I will just unplug it and am good to go