Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Battery issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 04:05 PM

Battery issues

I have had my 2008 HHR Panel for about a month and have had to jump start it twice. Both times it was after not driving it for 3 to 5 days. I am about to get it wrapped and will be using it more regularly for business, but I was wondering what could be the cause of the battery going dead, and I mean "dead", nothing works until I throw the charger on it.

The only thing I see that may be using power is the "anti-theft" system. Does anybody know if this could be using enough power to completely drain the battery? Any other suggestions as to where to look for the problem?

I'd like to see if I can figure it out, but will take it to the dealer if necessary.

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-12-2011, 05:23 PM

dead battery

my first thought would be to have the battery checked..sounds like it could be weak.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:27 PM
Platinum Member

If the battery has been "dead" several times, over very little period of time, I would say your battery is due for replacement.

When you speak of "anti theft" system are you referring to the OEM system or an aftermarket? I don't believe the OEM system would cause a depletion of "juice" in an amount that would kill the battery.....over the length of time you have mentioned. I park my '06 for much longer than you (have several vehicles to use) and have not had a problem.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:48 PM

My 2006 sometimes sits for a month at a time and the battery doesn't go dead. The security light on the dash flashes constantly. since you bought the vehicle used someone might have added something that is drawing current.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:58 PM

Bad cell.....the batt is quite small and if theres ANY problem with it it doesnt take long to die down...and you say no power till hooked up?....Change the battery....
Old 02-12-2011, 11:29 PM
Platinum Member

You may be ready for a FREE battery & charging check at the Auto-Parts.

I have an 08 Panel also. It can sit a month & no problem.
Let's see mine has the clock, calender, GM alarm ( only activated when parked out somewhere). OnStar, Probally some other stuff as well for parasitic drain.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:27 AM

Thanks everybody for your responses. It seems the general consensus in a bad battery, I will definitely get it checked.

Yes, I was talking about the OEM alarm, I bought it from a person who had set it up as a tow vehicle, but hardly used it. It only had 10,500 miles on it and I've put about 250 miles on it since I bought it, so because of the low miles, I hadn't really considered a bad battery, but it makes sense. It may have low miles but it's still over three years old.

Come to think of it, I wonder what alterations he may have had to make in order to tow it that might be causing the problem. He mentioned having to pull a fuse when he towed it.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:48 AM
Platinum Member

Lot of sitting can cause a lot of battery sulfation.

Someone here pulls theirs behind a motorhome & they said something about pulling fuse # 8 in the console, IDK why tho, or even who the member is ?

This may shed a bit of light: Post # 12

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...=towing&page=3
Old 02-13-2011, 11:11 AM

We pull ours behind a motor home, and yes when towing fuse 8 needs to either be pulled, or as I have done use a switch to disconnect it. Since you must tow with the ignition in the accessory position, so the front wheels can turn, (for steering) pulling fuse 8 disconnects things like the radio, the odometer and the SRS system. As far as mods killing the battery, if they were done correctly they won't create any additional electrical drain. I have never had a problem with mine.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:20 PM

Thanks for the link Sleeper and you're towing experience Laco, it doesn't sound like the tow setup could be causing a battery drain. I agree that maybe the long periods of inactivity has shortened the battery life.

Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: Battery issues