"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

How To: Front hub replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by psharer
If you have all the tools this takes about 45 minutes to do on each side. I originally thought it was road noise from the tires but did some reading and found out the wheel bearings are known to go early. I also found out Chevy has a 100k warranty on them so if you start hearing humming noise resembling road noise have them replaced.
Had the pass side done under warrant on my 07, now @54k it seems the driver side has the 4x4 humm. Any info on 100k warranty would be appreciated!
Old 06-28-2012, 12:00 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Sickdreme
Had the pass side done under warrant on my 07, now @54k it seems the driver side has the 4x4 humm. Any info on 100k warranty would be appreciated!
5 year or 100K

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/07-09-10-11-powertrain-parts-coverage-list-22231/
Old 07-16-2012, 01:48 PM

anyone know what size the axle bolt is? just ordered the hubs off e-bay... do the bearings come packed with grease already?
Old 07-16-2012, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by MikeloftyHHR
anyone know what size the axle bolt is? just ordered the hubs off e-bay... do the bearings come packed with grease already?
I've done this on my wife's Saturn ION last week. It had a 30 mm axle bolt (not to imply that the HHR is the same, but there's a high prob. that it is), but I'll let those who have done it on an HHR confirm. The hubs are completely sealed and ready to install (you couldn't put grease in there even if you wanted).

Yves
Old 07-16-2012, 02:25 PM

If I remember I'll look to see what size socket I used. Can't remember off the top of my head.

No bearings to pack, sealed units. Pretty easy to swap out also.

EDIT: It's a 30mm axle nut.

Last edited by solman98; 07-16-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:31 PM

ok, here it is again... with pics!

starting place- took off the calipers (14mm) and rotors to get to the real problem...dont forget to unplug the ABS sensor
https://www.chevyhhr.net/gallery/fil...0/hubstart.JPG

here is the trouble I first ran into... the axle nut (30mm) is on there good... 155ft/lbs How do I get it off with the wheel and brakes already off? I looked all over the shop and found some angle iron I had laying around and bolted it on to the lugs (it didnt matter because the new hubs had new lugs... https://www.chevyhhr.net/gallery/fil.../hubremove.JPG

then its 3 15mm bolts to get the whole thing off...
https://www.chevyhhr.net/gallery/fil...5/0/huboff.JPG

Keep an eye on how the brake shield is oriented ( took me a second try after it was wrong).

Reinstall- I used blue lock-tite in everything... 85lbs on calipers and hub bolts, 155 on axle nut Viola!
https://www.chevyhhr.net/gallery/fil.../0/hubdone.JPG
Old 07-24-2012, 03:52 PM

I can't understand why there is so much 'write up' on this. These have got to be the easiest hubs I've ever changed on a vehicle......
Old 07-24-2012, 05:56 PM
Technical Moderator

You forgot the part of the procedure that says to "place a punch or similar tool in the brake disk vents (before you remove the caliper bracket) and brace it against the caliper bracket". Then remove the axle bolt, reverse the same way.

And, yes real easy and you should consider replacing the axle at the same time. Only $60 a side and no real extra labor. And maybe the control arms ......?
Old 07-25-2012, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
You forgot the part of the procedure that says to "place a punch or similar tool in the brake disk vents (before you remove the caliper bracket) and brace it against the caliper bracket". Then remove the axle bolt, reverse the same way.
I didn't have to do that. I left it in gear and just hit it with the impact. Took it right off.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:13 AM

here is the trouble I first ran into... the axle nut (30mm) is on there good... 155ft/lbs How do I get it off with the wheel and brakes already off? I looked all over the shop and found some angle iron I had laying around and bolted it on to the lugs (it didnt matter because the new hubs had new lugs...
I always start and finish axle nuts with the wheel on the ground. Works every time for me.

I can't understand why there is so much 'write up' on this. These have got to be the easiest hubs I've ever changed on a vehicle......
How can you know that it's that easy unless somebody does a write-up? There's going to be repetitions in multiple write-ups, but there's always new (useful) info being posted. For example, to my knowledge, this thread has the first mention of the axle nut size. For someone like me without a shop manual or a full set of tools, knowing that I'm going to have to borrow or buy the 30 mm socket before tackling the job is priceless, as I live 30 minutes away from any store.

Yves

Quick Reply: How To: Front hub replacement