Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Letter from GM for ignition lock cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 04:53 PM

Michelle you certainly can. I though I would get a survey but I did not. The service adviser, Mike Salisbury, was great. The whole service area was great everyone was very friendly and making sure that I was taken care of. I am taking my sons 2000 GMC Sierra in tomorrow for 2 open recalls, tail gate cables and front wheel speed sensors, and I made sure that I called him to set it up. I usually never go to a dealership except to buy a car but since my HHR was under warranty I took it in. I am a technician at the Tech Center in the Concept Vehicle Integration Shop and we build the concept vehicles so needless to say I repair my own vehicles.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by ChevroletCustomerService
How have you been?

It is great you have received your reimbursement check already. That is really quick to be honest with you.

I hope you are having a great summer so far.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

Hey Michelle

Triple digits are killing me here. other than that doing good.

Cheers
Doc
Old 07-20-2012, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by sleeper
Got my letter today, for "Special Coverage # 12089" 10 years or 120,000 miles.

HHR_SS_QC- But wasn't yours acting up ? You should inform your dealer of this to get it replaced..

Thank you for confirming you have received your letter about this. When do you plan on getting your HHR into the dealership?

Old 07-24-2012, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Haunted_Hot_Rod
Hey Michelle

Triple digits are killing me here. other than that doing good.

Cheers
Doc
Glad you are doing well. The triple digits kicked our back sides too, getting a bit of a break; only in the mid 80's today. Desperately need some rain.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:04 PM

This thread has been active for two months and GM is still sending notification letters out. A Phased mailing. Good idea on their part, I suppose so the dealers and the parts supplier will not be inundated with lock replacement requests.

Just got my 12089 letter today.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:04 AM

I got my letter yesterday. I've not had a single problem with the lock cylinder, or anything else for that matter, but will put the letter with my warranty papers.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:50 PM

even with GM spreading out the letters so they dont run out of stock....my HHR's cylinder was replaced on a sat. didnt start on a monday and had to get towed(waited for a week cause they ran out of cylinders). and then a week later(on the day i was going to an HHR meet here in florida) it died again and the dealer had to order the part......atleast now im good!
Old 07-31-2012, 06:56 PM

Don't wait to get it fixed

Originally Posted by Tominator
I got my letter yesterday. I've not had a single problem with the lock cylinder, or anything else for that matter, but will put the letter with my warranty papers.
Tominator:

Don't just file the letter. Get the lock cylinder replaced now. Why wait until it breaks and you can't shut off the engine? I did'nt have any problem with my lock either, but I got it changed ASAP as soon as I got my letter. It only takes 45 minutes to get peace of mind.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:14 AM

Got a letter from GM on the stuck lock cylinder

Yesterday I got a letter from GM stating that some 2008 HHRs may get the stuck ignition problem, not allowing you to turn off your car.
It is NOT a recall and says that you should NOT take it to the dealer unless you are having this problem (really, a car that won't shut off! ).
Anyway, they are offering to reimburse you if you paid to have it fixed already. They are also offering to extend the warranty coverage for 10 years/120,000 miles in case it happens in the future.

If there is a fix for this, why wouldn't they just offer a recall? What are we (or the new owners) supposed to do if it fails after the "extended warranty"?
Old 08-02-2012, 09:45 AM

Got the same letter.

They won't offer a recall because obviously going this route saves them money, following the "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" rule. Don't blame them.

Anything after their extension I'd attribute to wear and tear, for example mine is 06/26/2018 or 120,390 MI. Granted they acknowledged the issue, but if it hasn't failed by then............well then it's done alright by me.

Quick Reply: Letter from GM for ignition lock cylinder