Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

please help !

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 10:38 AM

please help !

i am new to all this so hopefully doing it right . i have a 06 hhr 2.2 64000 miles
love my car but now having problem with it not wanting to run when engine is hot , has to cool down before it will start again . but if i put a bag of ice on top of the engine it will start,
within 10 min. chevy cant find anything wrongwith it. have put in new fuel pump ,icm and coil. HELP.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:54 AM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forums.

Has the Check Engine Light (CEL) come on? If so, you need to download the engine fault codes using a code reader. Most autoparts stores will do that for you for free.

On the surface it sounds like a heat soak problem with the fuel delivery. However there is not enough info provided to even begin to guess where the problem lay - especially since you have been replacing parts without giving any background info on the reasons for that - and it may well be related to the current issues.

Throw some more background info at us and we'll see what kind of pointers/tips the people here can provide. :)
Old 08-27-2013, 05:38 PM

Exclamation looking for help

Car has always run well never a problem. Noticed last summer during the heat wave the car did not want to run when really hot outside. Fall came and problem disappeared. Same problem this summer, not wanting to run. Two chevy dealers recommended replacing fuel pump assembly. So I did, six hours later same problem. Replaced the icm and coil, for the simple fact that if you put a bag of ice on them, it would start within ten minutes,this did not resolve problem.Never, ever throws a code, never overheats, runs perfect when cooler. Tired of wasting money with chevy dealers because they do not have a clue.Thats about all I can say, I love my car, just need to get it straightened out., Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:11 PM
Technical Moderator

You R&R the air filter daily?

How about trying just a bag of something on the same area?

What other components are in contact with the bag of ice?

I am wondering about the fuel rail. And maybe the purge valve circuit, the tube that comes off of the intake manifold, maybe cracked cold contracts it?
Old 08-27-2013, 08:30 PM

hot hhr

do not remove airfilter daily, when this started getting bad i removed stock breather and installed a temp spectre set up to try and lower under hood temp. 5 lb bag of ice only touches the valve cover , coil, and icm nothing else
Old 08-27-2013, 08:34 PM
Technical Moderator

The Goonies, again.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:40 PM

what ?
Old 08-27-2013, 08:45 PM
Technical Moderator

I am assuming that the coil pack includes the spark plug wires, I don't have a 2006 and I know they are different. If not, that sounds like the only candidate, also assuming there has been a spark plug change at some time, even though at 64,000 it's early.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:48 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by jack kelly
what ?
Humor! Goonies, Gremlins etc.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:56 PM

dont mind me it was one of those days! their are no spark plug wires to speak of, their under the coil.