Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

SS Wheel Clearcoat

Old 07-09-2011, 12:48 PM

SS Wheel Clearcoat

What is everybody doing to protect the clearcoat on the SS wheels? At one time I was considering a Trailblazer SS and as I read up on them in the forums one of the common complaints was about the clearcoat on the wheels yellowing, hazing, or peeling. Hopefully the HHR SS wheels are sourced from a different supplier and this won't be an issue, but I am keen on protecting them the best I can anyways. I put a coat of Liquid Glass on them yesterday along with the rest of the car and I plan on doing a second coat this evening. Anybody got any tricks up their sleeve?
Old 07-09-2011, 02:18 PM

Those types of problems happen on almost every manufacturer's wheels (domestic and foreign). It mostly happens over time, on wheels that are exposed to the elements in areas that have harsh winters.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:54 PM

Harsh winters, heat/brake dust, and harsh wheel cleaner products.... Including the stuff at the "quarter car wash" places. That stuff is nasty on clear coated wheels....... There's even a warning on their signs that nobody ever reads.

There were some brands/models/years that had worse clear coat than others, but all can be effected with improper treatment. I have an '07 2LT with the polished wheels, (different than the newer models, and not sure how the coating compares to the SS to be honest) I treat those wheels the same way I do the rest of the car as far as washing and waxing..... I do use a different brand of wax, but it's clear coat safe car wax.... not a wheel product. These are now my "winter wheels" and still look great. (abit some light curbing via the previous owner)
Old 07-09-2011, 03:19 PM
Deceased

Old 07-09-2011, 04:18 PM

I live in the South, so it's mostly UV that's the problem here. I'm trying Liquid Glass on this car for the first time, I had been using Meguier's NXT on everything since it came out, so I guess I'll keep putting that on the wheels too. I own 3 Chevrolet's, so don't take it the wrong way, but in my experience of owning Chevrolet's and Toyota's exclusively the clearcoat on Toyota wheels is much more durable than Chevrolet's, that's why I was worried about it.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:14 PM

clear coat

Guys,

I read in my owners manual on the other 2 cars that you treat the clear coat like paint because it is really just clear paint. So any good wax is okay for the wheels I'm thinking.

As far as Toyota wheels clear being better, no way, my buddy's Tundra and another buddy's Sienna van wheels are a mess! All of the paint is peeling off the wheels to the degree that it is a wonder they will hold air..nasty looking!

Oh what a feeling! Toyota

QuickRick
Old 07-12-2011, 12:14 AM

Agreed. Here in snowy Rochester no clear coated wheels hold up long regardless of brand. It is a tough environment and without excellent care they don't stand a chance. I've seen great looking wheels on 5 year old GM & Fords as well as some badly corroded Toyota's and Mazda's - and the reverse. It's not a brand name issue its a care and original quality issue. No brand has a corner on it good or bad. Chrome seems to hold up much better but with enough abuse that too can be a real disaster.