Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Wheel alignment

Old 12-28-2012, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Dracos
My steering wheel would center before I took it in, now it's 4 to 5 degrees to the right and the car pulls to the left a little more than before.

The extra pull to the left is probably the steering trying to center itself.

I always took my wrenches with me on the post alignment road test so I could make sure the steering wheel was centered if it wasn't already. I know I hate driving with it like that so why would I want a customer to have to drive like that.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:46 PM
Platinum Member

Agree with everyone. Might need to find a more competent shop, imo..
Old 12-29-2012, 08:16 AM

I went through this with my hhr ss
Had it aligned at the dealer.
Then brought it to a friends shop he put it on the machine and showed me that there really was nothing wrong.
Still pulled to the left.
changed the front tires side to side it helped a little from radial pull in one tire apparentley then.then I tried putting 4 psi less in the right side it helped just to see what it was doing.
In the center lane of a three lane highway it was not bad on the left lane though it still bothered me.
then a couple weeks later I noticed when i drove over a road area that had washboard bumps it felt as if there was something loose in the steering.
took it home shut the car off and moved the steering wheel left to write and I could feel play and here a noise in the steering inside the car.
I figured either the intemediatte joint shaft was worn or the steering column.
Asked the dealership to check it and they said that the steering column was worn at about 55k and this was common.
The bill was close to $2000.00 to replace it at least that is what I saw it was thankfully under warranty.
Drove down the road the noise was gone and to my complete surprise the car did not pull anymore to the left.
I am assuming that the new column not being worn takes a bit more effort to be moved where the old one would just move easily therefore allowing it to easily veer to the left.

Either way I would have a dealer really look at your steering column seeing how they can go.
I just also talked to another hhr owner and he said that his lower control arm bushings wore or dryed out on his 08 with about 60k on it.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:34 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by bigjacksauto
I went through this with my hhr ss
Had it aligned at the dealer.
Then brought it to a friends shop he put it on the machine and showed me that there really was nothing wrong.
Still pulled to the left.
changed the front tires side to side it helped a little from radial pull in one tire apparentley then.then I tried putting 4 psi less in the right side it helped just to see what it was doing.
In the center lane of a three lane highway it was not bad on the left lane though it still bothered me.
then a couple weeks later I noticed when i drove over a road area that had washboard bumps it felt as if there was something loose in the steering.
took it home shut the car off and moved the steering wheel left to write and I could feel play and here a noise in the steering inside the car.
I figured either the intemediatte joint shaft was worn or the steering column.
Asked the dealership to check it and they said that the steering column was worn at about 55k and this was common.
The bill was close to $2000.00 to replace it at least that is what I saw it was thankfully under warranty.
Drove down the road the noise was gone and to my complete surprise the car did not pull anymore to the left.
I am assuming that the new column not being worn takes a bit more effort to be moved where the old one would just move easily therefore allowing it to easily veer to the left.

Either way I would have a dealer really look at your steering column seeing how they can go.
I just also talked to another hhr owner and he said that his lower control arm bushings wore or dryed out on his 08 with about 60k on it.
All every good points you have made bigjack.

But. The OP stated that he only has 9170 miles on his 2011.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
What caught my eye, was your statement:"they had to elongate the left strut" WTH! If they elongated the mounting holes,you should be p----d. Not the way to correct this.
First action should have been to determine why it was out of spec. Second should have been to try to use a camber bolt kit.
Sounds like they don't know what they're doing. No way I would take it back to that dealer. I would find another shop to handle this.
I would also look at getting that strut replaced and let the original dealer pay for it.

This is a Cadillac dealerc, btw. I bought it at the same company's Chevy dealer 50 miles away.

On monday I'm going to make them put it up on a lift and show me what they did. I expect I'll be taking it to another dealer immediately... I looked at the work invoice today and apparently an oil change takes 8.8 quarts!
Old 12-30-2012, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Dracos
This is a Cadillac dealerc, btw. I bought it at the same company's Chevy dealer 50 miles away.

On monday I'm going to make them put it up on a lift and show me what they did. I expect I'll be taking it to another dealer immediately... I looked at the work invoice today and apparently an oil change takes 8.8 quarts!
8.8qts? Holy cow. Yea take it somewhere else from now on.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:58 AM

The fact you would even need an alignment at 9k is strange. I was going to tell you I know a great private mechanic in San Antonio who does cheap labor but man that's one hell of a drive on 10.

Ya, it's 5 quarts oil. Scary.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
All every good points you have made bigjack.

But. The OP stated that he only has 9170 miles on his 2011.
Ya I noticed that
I am thinking if the parts I mentioned are wearing out at 50 k then
a defective part a little out of spec could have been installed at the factory
although not that likely

Lets see if it was not pulling before and it is pulling now then

either
Tire
wrong alignment
bad steering column
bent frame control arm etc.

I am putting my money on radial tire pull.

Unless someone borrowed or used the car then anything goes.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:59 AM

Dracos I noticed that you said that the steering wheel is not even straight when driving
the dealership is supposed to hook up there Tech 2 computer or at least that is what they did with mine which helps them center the wheel.
Do you have a computer printout of the before and after specs?
If not then its probably not in specs at least that is my experience
I would still recomend turning the car off and moving the steering wheel left to right and listen for any clicking noise in the column inside the car.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:56 AM

They didn't give me any spec printout.

According to the owner's manual, a 2.4 auto takes 8.5 quarts of oil.

I looked at my tires this morning, there' nothing obviously wrong with them.

I'm posting this from the waiting room.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wheel alignment