Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Key fob issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 01:28 PM

Key fob issues

Well, both key fobs for my '08 HHR Panel finally crapped out and wouldn't unlock the doors. Seems that all the buttons were getting unreliable except the panic alarm button which is the one I used the least. I contacted the dealer and learned that a new one would cost me $155.oo plus $55.oo to program it!! Talk about robbery without a gun.

So here's what I did. I opened up the fob and cleaned all the contacts with alcohol but that didn't work. Wondering how a rubber button completed an electrical circuit, I figured it must have been impregnated with a metallic coating that may have worn off hence the one I used least was still good. Built to wear out, eh? So I cut a tiny pieces of aluminum foil and glued them over the the problematic little buttons and bang, they all work like a charm. "Whooped 'em again didn't we Josey." FTF I say!
Old 06-23-2012, 01:31 PM
Deceased

Always knew there were more uses for tinfoil than making hats to keep out them Guv'mint mind reading rays.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by 843de
Always knew there were more uses for tinfoil than making hats to keep out them Guv'mint mind reading rays.

Yep. Now I need some more tinfoil to make a new hat!!!
Old 06-23-2012, 05:31 PM

Nice. I started reading and thought this was going to be the same as stuff already posted but this is a clever little trick indeed.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:46 PM

key fob

you can get them on e-bay cheap.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:50 PM
Deceased

Originally Posted by agrandad
you can get them on e-bay cheap.
Very true, but the "home brew" fixes allow you to keep your current fobs in service, and avoid the charges from a dealer to program your HHR for the new ones which can run from $60-80.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:49 AM
Platinum Member

or you can purchase the rubber/silicone pad inserts on ebay etc. (which doesn't need any reprogramming), or do it the hard way, like I did, by shaving off the carbon buttons off an old tv remote/calculator and using silicone adhesive to glue them on your old insert.

I'll try the aluminum foil trick one of these days.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:55 AM

Yep, could have bought a used one on ebay and hoped it worked.Then would had to program it. Could have tried to find the rubber insert that worked with the electric side doors in my panel. But, seeing as I had the tinfoil from the sandwich I ate the fix didn't cost me a dime!
Old 06-25-2012, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Rikki Sixx
Well, both key fobs for my '08 HHR Panel finally crapped out and wouldn't unlock the doors. Seems that all the buttons were getting unreliable except the panic alarm button which is the one I used the least. I contacted the dealer and learned that a new one would cost me $155.oo plus $55.oo to program it!! Talk about robbery without a gun.

So here's what I did. I opened up the fob and cleaned all the contacts with alcohol but that didn't work. Wondering how a rubber button completed an electrical circuit, I figured it must have been impregnated with a metallic coating that may have worn off hence the one I used least was still good. Built to wear out, eh? So I cut a tiny pieces of aluminum foil and glued them over the the problematic little buttons and bang, they all work like a charm. "Whooped 'em again didn't we Josey." FTF I say!
Thanks for sharing your success story of getting this taken care of at a low cost. I will have to remember this and see if it would work on my key fobs when they start to have issues.

I hope you had a great weekend.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 06-25-2012, 12:36 PM

Thanks

I just fixed mine with foil and works like new. Will the foil hat make me new again? Thanks for posting this fix.

Quick Reply: Key fob issues