Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Checking and/or changing transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 10:27 AM
Platinum Member

Courtesy of Google Translate - it's not perfect, but should be clear enough

So it is time to change the oil in the gearbox. So start: First you need to drain the old oil, as drain not, then you need to unscrew the tray with one hand and gently pour the oil. We poured into a plastic bucket to measure the number of blended oils. Unscrew the filler cap on top (under the hood exactly between the air filter and fuse block), to give access to the air.

When the oil is drained gently unscrew the whole pan and gently lower it down, because he is full of oil and pour out the oil in a bucket.

oil is drained, remove the pan

bottom view The filter is removed and out of the return oil to the bucket

The filter removed bottom view of the unfiltered Now we need to cater for himself tray at the bottom of the tray has a magnet on it and a lot of As, in the form of fine metallic dust

pan after removing the Well,

the pallet is ready for installation

Now we need to cater for the box itself before installing the new filter and pan.

Wipe the place of joining.

cook and the box itself

Set up in the box the new filter (the filter was a small O-ring golden brown), remove the ring and remove it is not necessary.

new filter Now put the pan back on and tighten nuts crosswise to avoid uneven tightening. Now prepare the oil for the filling.

Begin to pour oil, for the convenience of using a hose and funnel

device

Unscrew the bolt from the bottom box oil level. There is a nuance in the box, we have filled seven jars of 0.94 liters approximately 6.6 liters, so that's out of the hole the oil begins to flow when infused 6 cans. As they say Americans are determined by the intensity level of the oil leak. If the slow-flowing little much, many, medium at the time. Therefore, we measured the amount of oil drained.

bolt for oil control

Now insert the hose into the filler neck and begin to pour oil

process has gone

Here fill opening

a hose can be seen but the filler tube

cork

Tighten the plug in place. After the procedure the machine started up and drove a few miles. Then back to the pit in one place pursed gasket (acted a little oil), then another circle.

Everything is fine. What is missing is the price of the filter and fluid. Place of purchase.

Filter: 150 000. Shate th Oil: what is that about 1,053,936 rubles. The robin. For accuracy - measure, with empty bottles of oil, drained of oil.

What finally poured?

For manual: 6.6

Now everything. Thanks for the detailed report.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:46 AM
Platinum Member

" As they say Americans are determined by the intensity level of the oil leak. If the slow-flowing little much, many, medium at the time." (quote from above)

This may be translated,but I haven't a clue what English dialect this is.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:10 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
" As they say Americans are determined by the intensity level of the oil leak. If the slow-flowing little much, many, medium at the time." (quote from above)

This may be translated,but I haven't a clue what English dialect this is.
I am keeping my beer hidden. Who knows when they are going to start the invasion.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:27 AM

Gentlemen, this is untranslatable play on words. :)

Look at the attached file.

http://bigmotors.by/forum/download/file.php?id=786

PDF file in the archive.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:54 PM
Administrator

cool so 6 litres and check the fil nice one!
Old 07-26-2012, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by sleeper
Snoopy-

I think this is the image you've referred to..
The ATF check level plug arrow in that image, is it pointing to that black tab(which is a sensor) on the side of the tranny, or is it plug out of view underneath?

It is possible to reach, that sensor at least, by removing the passenger wheel. With the wheel removed I lowered the car onto a wood block to get it to the right level.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:38 AM

having trouble finding that atf fill port.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:22 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by ET1BOOKER
having trouble finding that atf fill port.
And......?

You have tried the SEARCH box at the top of the page, right?

The easier thing is to read the entire thread post #7 has a picture.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:49 AM

This thread is old, but I have read it entirely to try and put the pieces together. I recently bought a '09 HHR SS with the 4-speed auto. Of course, the owner's manual says to take it to a dealer for a trans fluid change. But I do most of my own car work and want to drain it and change out the filter myself. I found a small plug on the bottom of the case near the passenger side axle. Is that a "drain" or "check" plug? I found the large black plug in the top of the trans. Is that for filling?

What is the procedure to perform this filter/fluid change? I know to drop the pan to empty the fluid. But how do I refill it and know it has the correct amount? A local tranny shop is telling me I need a special "removable dipstick" of some sorts. This seemed a little far-fetched.

Thanks in advance,
M Ridzon
Old 01-24-2017, 12:17 PM

That is a 'check' plug. There is no 'drain' plug, unless the pan has been outfitted with one, or replaced with a pan that has one.

Yes, refill via the filler cap on the top, with the vehicle level, until the fluid is at the bottom of the 'check' hole.

The Haynes manual has the whole procedure, but also warns that it "is best left to a professional shop with a safe lifting apparatus".

Quick Reply: Checking and/or changing transmission fluid