Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

no OBDII connect,no crank on 2007 panel

Old 07-21-2013, 03:50 PM

Exclamation no OBDII connect,no crank on 2007 panel

Hey to all. First time on any forum. 2007 hhr panel 2.4 lt. Ive got a problem. While trying to install an engine tune for first time, flash says it cant connect. Got OBDII code reader and same thing... cant connect. My OBDII connection does'nt have the ppl wire in pin 2... it has a grn wire in pin 1??? All pins check out for voltage and grounds except I am showing a ground on pin 1.
Oh yeah and starter wont crank now. Had battery disconnected for a while but it is fully charged now. Can jump starter and crank but no power to purple solenoid wire. Dont know if problems are related or not. Cant find answers surfing so I thought Id try here. Please HELP.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:05 PM
Technical Moderator

The OBDII problem is a blown fuse , under hood box the one labelled "front power outlet" also known as the front cig lighter (same fuse for OBDII port). Sound like the other problem is also. The HHR is OBDII/CAN if that makes a difference to your reader. DON'T go yanking on wires if you don't know what they are.

I don't know what else you may have messed with, but when you jumped the car you did it the way the Owner Manual says to do it, right???? That black boxy thing under the hood is NOT the battery and only one of the connectors is for jumping.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:25 PM
Platinum Member

donbrew. I don't think the OP was jump starting the battery. He stated "jumped the starter". I read this to mean he was shorting across the starter solenoid.

Anyhow. Still good advice about jumpstarting for those that aren't aware.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:43 PM

yeah fireman... i jumped starter only to check starter circuit... the small purple wire is from the relays and bcm. Thats about all I know about bcm crap. something is telling my starter not to crank. Its not the volts, I have almost 13v @ battery.
The obdII problem is puzzling me. Checked obd2 wiring with wifeys 06 burb and is different than my 07 hhr panel??? pin 1 is used on hhr and pin 2 on her burb and every other gm i've looked at.
Also checked for voltage at pin 16 like i stated earlier and its not a blown fuse (checked twice) and also the grounds are both good.

However I would like to thank you guys for replying any and all info is appreciated.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:32 PM
Technical Moderator

If there is no power to a wire there's only 2 choices 1) bad wire 2) blown fuse.

I still don't know why you are mucking about with wires at the OBDII port at all. The power to the OBDII port comes from the front cig lighter fuse.......(PERIOD) it does not matter which pin it is the OBDII+CAN specifications define the pinouts. Could be the power port is shorted, there have been lots of reports of the fuse looks alright, but is bad.

If you don't understand BCM crap (computer logic) why are you messing with it. It is not simple house wiring anymore.

I really don't mean to sound as grouchy as that reads.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:28 PM

Donbrew 1.please read initial post and tell me where you see 1.no power to obd2 2.that you were replying to someone as ignorant as you.
It's obvious you have nothing to offer so please offer nothing. I m done with u!!!
Old 07-21-2013, 11:29 PM
Deceased

OK, everybody take a deep breath here, let's go through this deal.

1. Check the fuse(position #29) with a multimeter for continuity, checking it visually is not good enough.

2. Check the fuse socket for power, why you're asking? HHR's have a two part fuse box(upper & lower)...and the halves can work loose. So make sure the upper half is in good solid contact with the lower half, or you'll have issues.

3. Contact the vendor of the tune, ask them for input into what's going on, maybe the flash only partially loaded then the fuse failed causing your BCM to go into some odd mode.

4. Comparing your HHR to another unrelated GM platform is like comparing apples to oranges, they're both round and that's about it.

5. Make sure your scan tool is OBDII/CAN compatible, otherwise, it's useless on an HHR.

6. Look for loose wires or bent/corroded pins, it happens.

7. Feeding voltage to the starter directly proves only that the starter motor works, the BCM needs to be working/communicating with the vehicle before it will start.

We're trying to help, don't take things personally, the questions/observations may sound harsh or even dumb, but they are asked for a reason.

Let us know what you find, and welcome to the forum.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:42 AM

843de, however you spin it, a response like #6 will likely lead to less people offering help/suggestions. I even had a couple things in mind but if that's how they could potentially be received/responded to then all I can say is that I hope he finds his problem.

Last edited by db/sb; 07-22-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:20 PM

OK....Lets start over... I most positively "do" have 12volts to my obd2 connection . I tested with a multimeter 12volts across pin16 and both ground pins. I did check fuse...even though I did already read voltage at obd2 connector. I am in contact with tuner and he agrees with 843de that tune may have been interupted partially thru tune transfer....waitjng to here back from him.

843de...Thanks for invite
db/sb ...what about #4???? That still holds true...to everyoe who would like to help
Old 07-22-2013, 06:28 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by sgmartin6
Donbrew 1.please read initial post and tell me where you see 1.no power to obd2 2.that you were replying to someone as ignorant as you.
It's obvious you have nothing to offer so please offer nothing. I m done with u!!!
"Got OBDII code reader and same thing... cant connect."

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: no OBDII connect,no crank on 2007 panel