General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

How do you think the HHR handles in the snow?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 07:33 PM

Other than like crap... i can deal with it... was still doin 90 down the highway coming home from work.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:14 PM

I agree with the "tank" idea.... but a light weight tank..... I drove over the ice encrusted snow in my driveway. The 1 inch of ice didn't break when I backed out of the drive today. That's 1 inch on top of about 4 inches of snow/ice pellets......

No problems on the roads and they were a mess......
Old 02-03-2011, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Gas Man
Other than like crap... i can deal with it... was still doin 90 down the highway coming home from work.
Please don't get yourself killed. You're too valuable of a member. I thought you guys got 2 feets and the interstates were impassable?? They made it sound like the roads were a death trap on the news... We only got 5" the other day here in Northern WI, I don't really think we were in the path of this latest storm.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:42 AM

I'd like to change the tires on mine for winter. It feels like I'll get stuck pretty easy, even though I haven't yet.
Originally Posted by goetylsd
Please don't get yourself killed. You're too valuable of a member. I thought you guys got 2 feets and the interstates were impassable?? They made it sound like the roads were a death trap on the news... We only got 5" the other day here in Northern WI, I don't really think we were in the path of this latest storm.
We definitely got some snow, but they blew it out of proportion...typical media.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:15 AM

People just need good tires and that is all. THe HHR will go really well in the snow without drama.

The only thing that hurts it are bad tires or people who just can drive in the snow.

I have had 2 days of 4 inches of snow. Over an inch of ice and more snow on the ice last night. I never had an issue getting to work.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:48 PM

Ok. I love my HHR. It inspired me to build a 300hp+ sleeper, but this thing sucks a$$ in the snow. Throw a shovel in the back. I had a Cavalier for 5 years before I got this a year ago ago. I never got the Cav stuck but this thing... a few times. I thought an LSD would yield good results in the snow but nada, I hope its a rubber issue (Goodyear Allseasons)...can't beat a good set of snow tread. Next thing to budget for is snow tires. The 215s this has stock are just too wide for winter grip. 205 winter tires/steels coming soon from tire rack. I have the 5spd...I dont know if the auto has traction control or not which I know was really nice in the grand am I drove for a while.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:08 PM

I have to agree. You should know your driving limitations in the snow. You also have to set your car up for winter driving.
The HHR has been great in the snow. It has handled all that CT and Maine could throw at it. I drove in 8" of virgin snow, 4"-6" slush, ice patches, sleet/ rain combos, no problems. The traction control reeeaaally does work well but does take a little getting accustomed too. So far
My winter setup is a set of Continental Extreme Winter 205/65/15's. I think going to a narrower 65 series tire has enhanced it's winter/snow performance. I think the driver of the Range Rover spinning her wheels I passed yesterday on a snowy hill might have to agree.
agree.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:22 PM
Platinum Member

"I think going to a narrower 65 series tire has enhanced it's winter/snow performance."

65 series is the % of sidewall to the section width (in this case 205)

Sidewall is 65% of 205mm

205mm is the tire width, not the tread, but the fattest part, aka section width..
Old 02-03-2011, 10:24 PM

I donno guys...... I've got 225/50/ZR17 Goodyear Eagles on mine and can walk right up an ice covered hill and stop coming down the other side. Much of winter driving comes down to two things

1.The driver

2. realizing it's NOT SUMMER......
Old 02-04-2011, 05:45 AM

I find it so odd that a few have so many issues in the snow.

I have 290 HP and Triple Treads and have no issue getting any where and to be honest it is down right boring to drive in the snow.

I have no magical skills for snow driving.

I would say from comment here and from what I see on the road some folke either have unrealistic expectations or just can't drive in the snow. I don't know how to explain it any other way. We can blame tires to a point but it still takes someone who know how to adjust to weather. But even with that GM has made the HHR pretty easy to drive with all the electronic aides.

Anything short if 4 wheel drive is not going to be much better. But even they won't stop any better.

I am not here to mash any toes but I know what I have and I don't understand what other expect. I get as much or more snow than most here and the HHR shines even with out any specail tires.

Quick Reply: How do you think the HHR handles in the snow?