Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Power Steering cutting out but fuses OK - still the motor?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 12:01 PM

@wwmmss777, the first step in any of our processes is to have the vehicle into a General Motors dealership for diagnosis. Once diagnosed things such as cost assistance can be talked about, but the service manager usually needs to be involved with that decision.

From the information I have available to me, the steering components are not covered under the Powertrain limited warranty. Here is what should be covered under the Powertrain limited warranty:
-Gasoline engines - the cylinder block and heads, and all internal parts, intake manifold, timing gears, timing gear chain or belt and cover, flywheel, harmonic balancer, valve covers, oil pan, oil pump, engine mounts, seals, and gaskets, water pump; also turbocharger and supercharger housings and internal parts, valves, seats, and gaskets.
-Transmission - the case and all internal parts, torque converter, vacuum modulator, seals and gaskets and transmission mounts, also transfer case and all internal parts, seals and gaskets.
-Front Wheel Drive - the final drive housing and all internal parts, axle shafts, constant velocity joints, front hub bearings, seals and gaskets.
-Rear Wheel Drive - the axle housing and all internal parts, axle shafts, bearings, supports, seals and gaskets propeller shafts and u-joints.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 09-21-2012, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by whopper
Oh, right on - not covered by the powertrain warranty. Well, at least it's a cheap and easy fix to do in the driveway. I think someone posted a while bact that the VVT solenoids are covered under the drivetrain warranty now (but I might be wrong on that ).
Well as of Dec 2011 they arent lol. i was rather pissed we had owned the car for less than a month. (used and out of bumper to bumper.)
Old 05-19-2013, 04:26 PM

Question power steering problem

Can someone please tell me if, after they replaced the power steering motor, if they no longer had any problems with the power steering after that? I want to know if that will fix it, or if it acts up again after that.

I found out that you can get the power steering motor from a car dealership on the north side of Chicago, called "Mike Anderson" (don't know address or phone #). They said it would cost about $101.00.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:10 PM
Platinum Member

It fixes it. Of course like all mechanical things, that does not mean that it can't break later. All things are possible.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:48 PM
Technical Moderator

And if that is what the problem really is, some have said the steering column could also be faulty. Dealer should be able to definitely tell you.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:37 PM
efh

Same problem and more ! I turned my HHR (2006) over to my grandson and he recently had the power steering motor light come on just as the steering cut out . After restarting the car it was fine for about two minutes and then it went out again . We had it towed to a Chevrolet dealer and they informed me that the main computer was shot . After replacing that they still had to replace the Power Steering Motor , this cost me just shy of a thousand dollars ! They also told me that we should keep an eye out for problems with the steering post assembly as that was a possible issue , not now but down the road (and another 900.00) ! Now I can't help but think there is a connection between the Motor and the Computer both failing at the same time . I have complained to Chevrolet about this and asked why no recall here in the USA . A quick look on the internet showed me that there are a lot of HHR owners with the same problem and many of them are also waiting for answers as to what is going to be done about it .
Old 01-28-2014, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by efh
Same problem and more ! I turned my HHR (2006) over to my grandson and he recently had the power steering motor light come on just as the steering cut out . After restarting the car it was fine for about two minutes and then it went out again . We had it towed to a Chevrolet dealer and they informed me that the main computer was shot . After replacing that they still had to replace the Power Steering Motor , this cost me just shy of a thousand dollars ! They also told me that we should keep an eye out for problems with the steering post assembly as that was a possible issue , not now but down the road (and another 900.00) ! Now I can't help but think there is a connection between the Motor and the Computer both failing at the same time . I have complained to Chevrolet about this and asked why no recall here in the USA . A quick look on the internet showed me that there are a lot of HHR owners with the same problem and many of them are also waiting for answers as to what is going to be done about it .
If you took it in for the power steering issue only and after they replaced the computer, the power steering was still bad I would have fought them to refund you for the incorrect repair. I would at this point NEVER have them work on your car again and still would try to talk to them about the incorrect repair.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:54 PM

Hello efh,

I apologize that you have recently experienced these concerns with your HHR. I noticed you mentioned you spoke to Chevrolet regarding this concern. Were you provided with a case number? I would be happy to properly document your concerns within our system. I can be reached via PM.

Sincerely,

Jonathan A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 07-08-2014, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by roberttx
Hi folks

So, the latest problem with the wife's HHR is the power steering. I've read up on the known issues on here, checked the fuses and asked her (more like interrogated her ) to describe events in detail.

Here's what I know:
1 - Both of the power steering fuses are fine (and we've never jump started the car).
2 - When she starts the car, the power steering always works - every time.
3 - After between 30 seconds and 5 minutes of driving, the power steering cuts out and "Power Steering" shows in the DIC.
4 - If she stops the car, turns the engine off and back on again, the power steering starts working again. Every time. Then back to #3.

Here's what I think:
A - Clearly, whatever is wrong, the motor is not drawing sufficient overcurrent to blow the fuses.
B - I've read that the standard problem may be associated with the electric motor overheating. But I've confirmed with the wife that she has had extended periods of power steering after a failure and engine restart - which doesn't necessarily seem consistent with a heat issue to me.

Which brings me to my question: Does this sound like the standard electric motor failure to you folks, or does it sound more like a logic issue? I hate to think what the cost of replacing the computer might be, so I'm kind of hoping for it to be the motor.

OTOH, we do have one of those Progressive Snapshot devices installed, so I've asked her to remove that, the next time it occurs and to drive without it for either a couple of hours or until another failure occurs - whichever is first.

I'll report back on that last point when I have something to tell you, but in the meanwhile, I'd be grateful for any thoughts.
Lost my power steering on HHR '07, starter was replaced, no further problems.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:02 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by NANS11
Lost my power steering on HHR '07, starter was replaced, no further problems.
What ????? I hope this is a typo/mistake and you meant to say electric power steering motor.

Quick Reply: Power Steering cutting out but fuses OK - still the motor?