General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Hardwired GPS

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 02:22 PM

I used this to hardwire my Tomtom

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001ISXXY8/ref=oss_product

i pulled the wire under the steering column and out though the driver side pop off the side cap.

this is how it looks with the gps on

Name:  photo2.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  10.4 KB

and with out the gps

Name:  photo-1.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  10.5 KB

i think i used fuse 23 I'm not sure. but its turns off when i open the door like the radio
Old 02-20-2010, 03:12 PM

That is nice, I didn't see onr for the Garmins, or did you cut the lighter plug off of a standard supply?
Old 02-21-2010, 12:15 PM

I just finished up... here are some pics:

Old 02-21-2010, 12:37 PM
ecl

Originally Posted by esmarkey
That is nice, I didn't see onr for the Garmins, or did you cut the lighter plug off of a standard supply?
Heres one for the Garmins I just might have to think about picking one of these up. Ive been thinking about mounting mine permanetly but making a custom mount, this peice would help with that.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:42 PM

like your installation,especially in view of the recent law passed in ontario regarding no use cell phones &gps etc devices along with fine &points..other than using your installation,the only other legal way i see of useage would be TOM TOM;S voice acuated unit which would eliminate the programing by hand. nice install job,also i am in the wallaceburg area,across the river from ALGONAC,MI.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by kewatin
like your installation,especially in view of the recent law passed in ontario regarding no use cell phones &gps etc devices along with fine &points..other than using your installation,the only other legal way i see of useage would be TOM TOM;S voice acuated unit which would eliminate the programing by hand. nice install job,also i am in the wallaceburg area,across the river from ALGONAC,MI.
You can use the GPS in Ontario, you just can not be programming it while your driving. Either find your drive-to location or set it to speedo mode before you leave and/or pull over to re-program it if en-route. I'm another daily user of the GPS (car speedo is too small for my tired eyes) and have no problem complying with this.

I also hard wired mine, just tapped into the 12v accessory in the waterfall itself, then ran the GPS lead up under the dash to the "A" Pillar it comes out at the bottom of it. I mount the GPS on the window, in that corner but you could also run the wire out to the centre of the windshield if that was your preference.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:15 AM
ecl

Originally Posted by ecl
Heres one for the Garmins I just might have to think about picking one of these up. Ive been thinking about mounting mine permanetly but making a custom mount, this peice would help with that.
just realized there isnt a link in my post so here is what I found for the Garmins
http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Hardwir...7809233&sr=1-2