"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

How To Install A New Horn

Old 04-03-2008, 12:31 PM

How To Install A New Horn

I installed my “Ooogah” Horn today and wanted to post a “how to” install a horn in the original horn area.

1st I jacked up the front drivers side and turned the tire out so I could reach under the front wheel well area better.

2nd I removed the 5 push in buttons using a flat headed screwdriver and then pulling them the rest of the way with a needle nose pliers. I then removed the 3 Metric screws with a socket. I pulled the wheel well shroud back and pushed it far enough back to allow access and stay in place while I worked.

3rd I took and located the factory horn its above the fog light area on a bright metal bracket as shown in the picture. Once bolt removes it and it will drop down.

Remove the plug in then cut the green and black wire. Leave enough so that if you have to install it back in later on you have plenty of wire to pigtail the wires back on.

Get your “Ooogah” horn or other 12V horn and take a look at the back you will see positive and negative symbols located where the wires go. I have tab connectors so on the green and black wires I attached the slotted connectors that slide onto the tabs. Make sure the Green is attached to the positive and the black is attached to the negative.

Once I attached the wires and secured them I found a location to mount. You can either use the bracket that comes with the horn or like I did I just did not care for the bracket that came with my horn it was vary weak so I used Zip Ties and attached my horn securely to the brackets that hold the bumper on making sure It is solidly attached and the wires are attached well before I close everything up.

That’s all it takes hope that someone gets some help from this once you open things up its vary easy to do.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:56 AM

hey dude. Your supposed to point the horn downwards so water wont pool up inside of it.....just a tip...

Jax
Old 05-29-2008, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by atxjax
hey dude. Your supposed to point the horn downwards so water wont pool up inside of it.....just a tip...

Jax
Also makes it easier to hear.

Nice how-to!

How's the sound?
Old 05-29-2008, 04:32 PM

Thanks for the how-to. But one thing. It probably won't affect you living in Texas, but zip-ties will get brittle in cold weather and probably break from the vibration and bouncing around the car will put them through.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:58 PM

BTW, we sell AH-OOO-GAH horns at The HHR Store! Most inexpensive you'll find anywhere! Still top quality though.

http://thehhrstore.com/AH-OOO-GAH_Horn.html
Old 05-29-2008, 11:43 PM

How does a direct replacement work with the horn chirps? I wouldnt want a big AAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOGAH everytime I lock the doors.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:55 PM

Hey very nice how to and great pics thanks. I thought that I had read on here that an aftermarket horn could mess with the stock fuse for some reason, could some whos done this chime in on that subject cause I want to throw on a type of train horn in the stock location.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by prod
How does a direct replacement work with the horn chirps? I wouldnt want a big AAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOGAH everytime I lock the doors.
The horn will still just chirp it will not fully AAAOOOOOGAH just a short burst.

The Horn sounds great and it suprises a lot of people!
Old 07-19-2008, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by R CA HHR
Hey very nice how to and great pics thanks. I thought that I had read on here that an aftermarket horn could mess with the stock fuse for some reason, could some whos done this chime in on that subject cause I want to throw on a type of train horn in the stock location.

As long as the voltage is right there should be no problem. I have had mine on for a few months now and no problems with fuses.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:45 AM

Auto accessories are 12v so the thing to look at is the AMPERAGE that the item draws. The horn fuse is #60 in the engine compartment fuse block and you will have to see what that fuse is rated at.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How To Install A New Horn