General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Rear lift gate

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 09:18 PM
jx3

Question Rear lift gate

Is anyone else having a problem with the rear lift gate NOT opening?
While out shopping tonight, returned to the HHR, tried opening the lift gate and got no response from it. Tried trouble shooting in the fuse box, but all fuse relating to lift gate appear fine.

Also how do you get the lift gate open manually?
According to chapter 2 of the handbook, there is supposed to be a release lever behind the plastic piece that is removable. Removed plastic piece, but could not find release lever.

Any advice on this matter would greatly be appreciate!!!
Old 11-27-2005, 12:48 AM

The release lever is non-existant; the manual is innacurate. On the gate, you must double click your remote to unlock both the rear doors and the liftgate. Also, as a safety feature, the rear liftgate will not open when the engine is running.

To recap; if you are having problems unlocking the gate, try double-clicking "unlock" on your key fob - should do the trick every time!

Hope it helps,
Old 11-27-2005, 01:29 PM
jx3

Thanks for the info on the inaccuaracy of the manual. Spent about half an hour trying to find the manual release!

Double clicking the unlock on the key fob is not allowing it to open. Have also tried manually unlocking all doors as well. Still no success. However, there is a clicking noise in the fuse box when trying to open rear hatch. I am beginning to think there is a problem with the relay to the lock on the rear door. If I can't solve this today, I will take it to the dealer to fix.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:53 PM

Unhappy

well I was just about to post about my issue...I came out after doing some shopping on Black Friday and went to go release my hatch to put some stuff in it and boom wouldnt open I tried everything locking and unlocking nothing...I've got an appointment for Thursday morning to have them look at it...

~WC
Old 11-28-2005, 08:17 PM

SoCalHHR,

Are you 100% sure that the tailgate is "NOT" suppose to open when the car is on? I think you might be wrong. I've been dealing with tailgate issues since almost 2 weeks after buying my HHR in September. The dealership service center is deplorable. It really has been the worse experience ever. Next time I buy a car. It'll be more based on service than whether it's cute or cool! Every time I've taken it in at 8:00am, it takes them till about 2 or 3pm to tell me it's the tailgate, then on two occassions when I brought it back, the first occassion, they told me after having the car the whole day, that they ordered the wrong part and on a second occassion, they told me that the part was damaged in transit. (Major B.S.) The 1 800 number is the same. They promise to call me back and no one ever does.

The dealership actually tested on one of their new HHR models that they had for sale and it opened with the vehicle on and we had a bunch of members from HHR Club test it out and it opened with the vehicle on.

I should be happy though, atleast it's opening period! I had it to where it wouldn't open at all, then it would open only after yanking on it 3 or 4 times, now it opens on the 1st or 2nd try and there is this funny clunking noise that it didn't originally have like when it was new and working.

Three latches later and still waiting for a another latch replacement!

Good luck.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:51 PM
Banned

I have opened my tailgate with HHR running. I think SoCal meant it wont open while in drive, just like the other doors.

Last edited by captain howdy; 11-28-2005 at 10:25 PM.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:32 PM

I can do auto start and open the tail gate as well.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:38 PM

this thread is going WAY OFF TOPIC...the discussion is about the lift gate not opening at all wether the engine is running or not...I dont even know where that came into play?

-WC
Old 11-28-2005, 09:42 PM

Well thats why we need to have an Lift Gate FAQ. Some people say the dealer told them you can open it while the car is running. One thing I noticed i'm not sure if anyone else did. But if your cargo net is empty and is flat to the floor due to nothing to support it gets very close to the lift gate hatch. I'm afaird it might get stuck would could cause it not to open. I'm suprised Chevy did now allow the glass window to open up by itself if this would be a common issue.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:20 PM
Banned

I think a FAQ on opening my tailgate is a bit much. Agreed way off the topic. I myself have not had any problems so far but that was one of the things I worried about when I purchased my HHR. I would have prefered a mechanical assy. rather the the electric switch.

Quick Reply: Rear lift gate