General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Rear lift gate

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 08:04 PM

Knock on wood! It's been about 2 months of defective tailgates and I think it's finally finally fixed!!! Yipee! Well, anyway, so this morning, I drop the car off at the usual, 8:00am. They were having their X-mas party so they promised it would be done early. At around 12:15p.m. I call and they send a driver to pick me up. I got there at around 12:30pm. My hubby had reminded me to test all the possible scenarios before I left. So I turn the car on using the Automatic Start feature, open the tailgate and it's bliss......... no strange clunk, just a perfect open. I think I'm out of there when I remembered that I was suppose to try to lock the car and open the tailgate, guess what???????????????? The tailgate opens with the car locked, as a matter of fact, the tailgate wouldn't lock at all. I was furious. How could they be so fricken incompitent to not check. Either way, I get a rental which took another 30 minutes to get, which meant that I showed up at work 30 minutes late!

Well anyway, they finally fixed it today around 3:00pm. Supposedly, they had to document everything that happened today because acording to GM, it's been their worse tailgate case yet. Lucky me! Anyway, it's fixed and I think I might just love the HHR again. We'll see if it lasts.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:16 PM

ok well after three hours wait this morning...it is the actuator a new one has been ordered....as for the whistle they were able to replicate it and have ordered me a new mirror...so yeah I dont know when the parts will be in...but eh it's just a slight inconvience...

-wC
Old 12-03-2005, 11:45 AM

New Mirror which one did they had to replace Wheelsee
Old 12-03-2005, 07:05 PM

they are replacing the drivers side mirror..the whistle was so bad that you could hear it at times on the highway over the music...

-wC
Old 04-23-2006, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by inst1gater
open the tailgate and it's bliss......... no strange clunk, just a perfect open.
My tailgate has a very loud clunk when I reach up and push the control button (strange is a better description). I thought this was normal, as it does this all the time. However, it also opens every time. Is this clunk "normal"? I don't particularly like the sound and it doesn't seem quite right. Any ideas?......

Fritz45
Old 04-24-2006, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by FRITZ45
My tailgate has a very loud clunk when I reach up and push the control button (strange is a better description). I thought this was normal, as it does this all the time. However, it also opens every time. Is this clunk "normal"? I don't particularly like the sound and it doesn't seem quite right. Any ideas?......

Fritz45
I am hearing the same thing on mine. All I have to do is pull it open an inch or two and you can hear it every time. Have it scheduled to go to dealer tomorrow, but wanted to see if anyone else has had the problem and what the dealer did to correct it. Just want to have as much ammo as possible so I can clue them in as to what others have experienced. From what I have read so far, it appears that the mechanism is faulty in all of them and needs to be replaced. Would really like to have the problem corrected before I have a ton of stuff in the back and can't get the hatch open. It sure would suck to have to climb through back doors to get stuff out...especially if it were too big to come out the door. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:53 PM

Took car into dealer yesterday and they told me nothing was loose. They took the gate apart and said that holding onto the button you use to open it was causing it to trip and make the noise. Not sure if they are blowing smoke up my behind or what. They also said that TSB # I gave them was for addressing the problem when the gate wouldn't open...and since mine was working they couldn't do anything. Told them I'd be back when tailgate won't open and would be none too pleased.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:58 PM

I have the clunk but I dont think it's a problem...and when did you buy yours?

-wC
Old 04-26-2006, 04:03 PM

I bought mine on 1/2/06 and it didn't do it when I brought it home. It's not hurting anything...it just makes me wonder if/when it will not open.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:28 PM

I wouldnt be too concerned about it as it looks like it was a bad batch of actuators and yours was sold well after the batch where problems were reported...

-wC

Quick Reply: Rear lift gate