"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Turn Signal Canceling Failure Fix: Lots of Pics

Old 08-21-2012, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Lee3333
... there was a piece in it which fell out and I never found it. I believe that is what touches the nub to cancel the turn signal.
IIRC it is a part of the steering shaft that does the canceling, not part of the steering wheel or anything attached to it. When I took the stalk out I looked into the hole from whence it came. I could see the actual steering shaft with either a slot(key way) in the shaft or a protrusion(key). This was different than a 90’s series Chevy truck from my past, which had pins and springs on the steering wheel that would occasionally break.

It may be possible that what you dropped is binding in the steering mechanism somewhere causing one or more of your problems.

My FSM diagrams did not show the operation well enough to determine just what does move to cancel the turn signal.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:01 PM

It was many years ago when I had the steering wheel off, but I recall a pin that went into the back of the hub. I could be wrong though.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:22 PM

U p d a t e

As the original poster to this thread, I now have some additional information. During the last two weeks my left turn signal started to fail in canceling once again, this was as before intermittent.

To correct I bent the spring in the direction of the steering shaft and replaced. The first time I did not bend the spring, but simply reversed it. Hope this time it will last longer.

While into the steering column I took pictures of the mechanism that trips the canceller.

In these two shots one can just see at the top of the pictures a slight difference just below the steering wheel. The two pictures are different only in that I slightly turned the steering wheel. This black plastic piece trips the canceller on the turn signal stalk.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:04 PM

Thank you, Sno White, for the tech post!

I feel a little guilty admitting it but my '06 HHR LT just rolled past 129,000 miles this past weekend and all of a sudden, I started encountering no functioning cancel feature on the turn signals. Spent some time at lunch pricing new ones (ouch). There was little warning, maybe one or two hard actuations of the switch and poof - no more cancel feature left or right. Since I am more of a DIYer, your pics & tips are perfect for next weekend's "repair project." I just hope the "milky white plastic tab did not shear off. More to follow on my experience next week.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:43 PM

I removed the switch and turned the spring around just like it was suggested. It worked great. My signal returns every time now.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:40 AM
Platinum Member

Sno white - thanks for the thread here - I'll be pulling my 2006 apart tomorrow if I get time, and giving your fix a try to address problems with my right-turn signals sometimes not cancelling.

Cheers.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Lee3333
My turn signal does not activate a left turn unless I hold it down very hard. Started intermittently...

Anybody else have this problem? Right turn stays on, just problem with the left turn.
Mine started like that too. Wouldn't click into position for a right turn though. Intermittently for a bit, then my turn canceling failed to both sides and now it stays fine to either left or right, but of course doesn't cancel.

I'm gonna get into it this weekend when I have some daylight...hopefully it's the same fix.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:49 AM

And this is why I love this forum... my signals haven't cancelled since I bought it (used). The car was a fleet vehicle and used mainly in our downtown core.. the sales guy and I both figured they were just worn out... however, they DO occasionally work, which tells me the parts are all there... and I'm willing to bet this little trick will cure the problem. Thanks all! (I won't be trying it for a little while... it's COLD out there right now)
Old 02-23-2013, 04:53 PM

Great write up. I have to say, this forum is one of the better ones on the net for repair help and vehicle support. Lot's of dedicated enthusiasts on this site that offer real help. Thanks to the original poster for taking the time to write this up and taking pictures.

This assmebly just went out in my wifes '06 with 95,000 miles on it. Looks like we had better luck with ours then some of you. It's about time. This car has given us fits since we pruchased it in '06 but it hasn't too bad over the last year and half.

When turning left the turn signal stalk doesn't work at all it just pops back up and the blinker doesn't engage. You have to hold the stalk down to keep the blinker engaged while turning left. It works fine while turning right. I'm just going to replace the switch assembly.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:51 PM

I just wanted to let everyone know that can get the genuine AC Delco replacement part from Rock Auto (rockauto.com)for $28.95 plus shipping (which I think was about $4.00). For that price I just ordered a new one and didn't bother repairing the one I had. I ordered one and got in two days. The local dealerships wanted between $84.00 and $102.00 for it. Autozone was $55.00 plus sales tax and they would have to order it.

Going out to install it in my wifes car now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turn Signal Canceling Failure Fix: Lots of Pics