Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Tire pressure sensors

Old 10-02-2007, 08:48 AM

Good info.
I found this about Cadillac and corvette wonder if this is the similar procedure to reprogramm?

http://www.etools.org/files/public/T...te_from_GM.pdf
Old 10-02-2007, 04:39 PM

I think that's the same info Old Ray provided.

I'm not sure about programming them. The sensors on the HHR are different, so there could be a different procedure. I'm going to my dealer tomorrow to find out for sure, hopefully.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:59 PM

Tire Shops

Am I correct when I say that as of 2008 it's federally mandated that all new vehicles have a tire pressure monitoring system?

I've heard somewhere that this is now the case up in Canada.

I remember trying to get new tires put on stock rims for a vehicle with a tire pressure monitoring system (the type which was mounted on the inside of the rim.) Many of the shops here in town said that they would not do the work because if they were to break the sensor during the tire change they would be liable for a new one (which could be expensive on some vehicles.) I finally found a shop that did the work and they didn't even break the sensor.

By not having to deal with that problem over the last couple of years I don't know if things have changed or not. Is it common for shops to be afraid of working on these types of rims? If all new vehicles will have these systems do you expect shops to learn to deal with these things?
Old 10-02-2007, 08:15 PM

I read that the NHTSA mandates all vehicles under 10,000 pounds be equiped with a TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) that are sold after Sept 1, 07.http://www.corral.net/index.php?opti...id=55&Itemid=2
Old 10-02-2007, 09:49 PM

Sounds like a pain in the but. Glad I have an '07. Heck, just walk out there once a month while giving her the weekly bath and check the tires while cleaning the rims and tires.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by stick
Sounds like a pain in the but. Glad I have an '07. Heck, just walk out there once a month while giving her the weekly bath and check the tires while cleaning the rims and tires.
yep, same here
Old 10-03-2007, 03:45 PM

Without the sensors, every time you start your car, it dings and the DIC throws a couple warnings at you and the low pressure light flashes while it's running.

The service department at the dealer said that the original sensors can be reused, but the valve stems need to be replaced so the sensors will sit against the wheel. They said they can get valve stems for various aftermarket wheels, they just need to measure them so the sensor will be in the right spot. Couldn't get an appointment until Monday evening, so more waiting...

At this point I'm still not sure if other shops can do this or if you have to take it to your dealer.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:26 PM

I have an 02 Impala with the TPM system and to calibrate it, there is a procedure by using the Disp button on the radio and other buttons, to go through a step process to reset it and then you have to drive the car and it then finishes the recal in about 8 minutes. This system doesn't tell me which tire is low so I have to use a gauge on each to verify the pressure is correct. My wife has a 08 Jeep Compass and on the DIC it shows all four wheels and the pressure of each.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:39 PM

I'm back from the dealer. They were able to use the original sensors and valve stems, so I just had to pay for labor, which still isn't very cheap.

Basically, some shops are not familiar with this version of the TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) which is why Firestone said they couldn't do it. As long as the sensors aren't damaged when they remove the tires though, they should be reusable. If the inside contours of your new wheels match those of the original wheels, the valve stems can be reused also. If they don't, I was told there are a few different types of valve stems so the sensors will work in different wheels.

For the DIC to recognize the right tire locations, the TPMS needs reprogrammed. The dealer has a tool for that purpose or you can do it yourself by following the instructions on page 5-65 in the owners manual.

Hope this helps future aftermarket wheel buyers!
Old 10-10-2007, 04:51 PM

A friend of mine just ordered a set of new sensors for his 2008 panel & they were 300.00

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire pressure sensors