"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Keyfob cold solder repair

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 06:54 PM
Platinum Member

Nice write-up Jeff...

AND I like your choice of equipment (for someone that does that work "seldom")
Old 04-01-2009, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
AND I like your choice of equipment (for someone that does that work "seldom")
Well, when I was a bench tech... (early 80's) I soldered all day, every day. My favorite soldering iron just stayed with me. Didn't need reading glasses then either.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:13 AM

Great write up and "how to" photos...

My fiance's remote stopped working last winter and I opened up the remote to find the same issue with the poor connections of the battery holder to the board.

I was a bit afraid to "screw up" with a soldering gun in such a small area, so I used a small dab of "super-glue gel" on each of the small tabs with a toothpick and it has been holding and working great ever since.

If I wasn't so afraid to screw it up with a solding gun, I would have done what you did.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:33 AM

This happened to both of ours luckily they were still under the warranty so they replaced them at no charge. Because i can't sodier?
Old 04-06-2009, 08:01 PM

Anybody have hints of fixing sticky remote buttons?
On one fob, I can unlock, but not lock...
Old 04-07-2009, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by mchuntley
Anybody have hints of fixing sticky remote buttons?
On one fob, I can unlock, but not lock...
CRC Electronics parts cleaner spray.

There are two kinds. one is for electro-mechanical parts like motors and has a picture of a motor on the can. DO NOT USE THIS!!! it will melt the plastic. The other is for electronic components and circuit boards. You can spray this liberally on the device. Probably a good idea to open it up and remove the battery first. This will desolve any oils/gums that are sticking it up and blast them out. let it dry for an hour before putting it back together.

Decades ago, that stuff was called tuner spray or contact cleaner.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:19 PM

when i bought my hhr used . the key fob didnt work cuz of the same problem. they gave me a second new key fob for free. but wanted me to pay 80 bucks to program it . so i just fixed the broken one with just adding a piece of paper under the case to hold the U shape thing and battery . it works perfect since ive done that
Old 06-23-2009, 09:45 AM

same problem here..thanks for the writeup with pictures!
Old 06-23-2009, 05:20 PM

yeah , the fobs contact points have came apart, on both my wife's & my fobs. I instantly knew what to do both times & i never had to look at this thread, matter of fact, this is the 1st time i saw this thread !

but its good that this thread is up, to warn people about a pending problem & how to correct it. Kudos !
Old 06-27-2009, 08:53 PM

It was mentioned to me when I had lock problems, also check to see if all your door lock buttons both lock and unlock all of the doors, My issue is a connection issue and I need to dig into the BCM location and check wires. The driver door has it's own circuit and the passenger and rear doors work from a second relay. In my case the driver door is ok and the passenger front door but the 2 back doors do not always work.

Quick Reply: Keyfob cold solder repair