Mods - Exterior Discussion related to the looks of the exterior of the HHR.

ABS cement for 3 bar grille gap filling?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 11:26 PM

ABS cement for 3 bar grille gap filling?

Has anyone that's done the 3 bar grille mod used ABS cement to fill the gaps left behind? Where the bars meet the perimeter frame, the support bridges between the bars, and the top of the bowtie?

I'm going to do a 3 bar over the summer, and have read all the related threads I can find. GTOMIKE finished his with fiberglass. I was searching for ABS repair and found a few pages describing how to use ABS cement for fixing cracks and more, especially on motorcycle fairings. When it hardens it becomes regular ABS, so there shouldn't be any thermal expansion/contraction issues.

I figure I can recycle bits from the removed bars to do some filling (the bridges and the bowtie top), and with a bit of ingenuity I can evaporate the cement down to a putty-like consistency and fill in the side cuts, as well as make mount points on the back for the mesh.

Any experience or advice out there?
Old 05-24-2012, 01:35 AM

Couldn't find ABS cement...and wasn't waiting for shipping, so this is what I did.

I created a top for my emblem out of a scrap piece. I didn't fill in the side cuts...but I did fill in where the verticle bars mount. I used some glue I originally picked up to secure the emblems, to instead fill in the dips/cuts. It turned out to be really thick and putty like in consistency...worked out pretty well.

Also, you don't really need any mounting tabs for the mesh. The black metal support bar on the back of the grill holds them in place pretty well, and once you put the black inner grill trim back on, they're held in place fairly securely. Although, I did bend/form the mesh tightly to the openings and then put a couple small dabs of permatex sealer along the middle bar, just to make sure they stayed close to the openings and didn't vibrate around. No loose mesh or problems that I have noticed yet.

Sorry no experience with the ABS cement, but thought I would share a little of what I encountered/uncovered in my process. I was stressing the most about mounting the mesh...until I saw how easily and securely they were held in on their own with the backside trim piece. Phew! Such a relief when I realized that one...haha!

Pics of the grill, glue, and more HERE. Got more pics of the mesh available that I didn't upload to that thread if you want to check it out more.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:01 AM

I remember that thread, Slide. The copper patina idea is neat.

Sadly, I too can't get ABS cement locally, but it'll be a while before I do this (it's only a couple bucks per can on Amazon). I realized I'll have to transplant bits from the removed bars back on as filler, but I'll be filling the round gaps at the sides instead of cutting them wide like you did. I doubt I'll decide how to mount the mesh until I actually get to that stage... I've seen several options.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:43 AM

Haha, I guess I can be a little anxious to get started on a mod once I decide on my plan of attack. I hate waiting on shipping...lol! Currently waiting on my shift handle...and IT'S KILLING ME! Haha, but best of luck with the ABS cement...let us know how it works out.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:06 PM

I just found another reason to use ABS cement, but I'm going to keep it secret until my 3 bar is done.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:37 PM

I think that would be to much area to cover with just that cement

Here is a picture of the one I did (yes, my hood is not closed in the pic)

I 'glassed it in, using the fiberglass matting and the proper resin, before finishing the surfaces off with a little spot putty
Old 05-25-2012, 09:52 AM

Rod Run.... that is exactly how I am thinking of doing mine. Right now I have 3-bar with the same mesh insert.

**BTW, mine is the same color, too**
Old 05-25-2012, 09:58 AM

What mesh grill is that? Or did you make it yourself?
Old 05-25-2012, 10:20 AM

The one pictured above is a stock grill with the extra bars removed. Then the sides are filled in with fiberglass to cover where the removal left small notches. Then finished, and painted.

The mesh that I used (can't say for certain what Rod Run used) is gutter-guard mesh found in the rain gutter section of Home Depot....then painted black.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:53 AM

I see, thanks. :)

Quick Reply: ABS cement for 3 bar grille gap filling?