Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Frequent clunk items

Old 01-19-2015, 10:32 PM

Frequent clunk items

Why didn't i hear this crap on the test drive! Owned this for a couple weeks, hit a few bumps today and said to myself, holy **** this suspension is terrible! But when over a bridge today thats very uneven and the shocks/struts have proper travel for sure (54k 2009 SS).

So, I can tell the endlinks are Moog (thankfully!) the dealership replaced them. Also looks like sway bar bushings are new. CAB's have a bit of movement but no visible tears or excessive play.

My 07 cobalt had this same noise and it was the CAB's, but they were all torn to crap.

What's my next bet struts mounts? Im getting coilovers soon so hopefully I wont have to worry about that. But just figured id ask.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:32 AM
Deceased

Well you're well on the way to tracing the dreaded Delta Platform front suspension noises.

Despite their OK-ish appearance, don't rule out the control arm bushings, they can look spiffy and be noisy as all get out.

Upper strut mounts are also on the list of usual suspects, you can have a lovely assistant/buddy turn the wheel lock to lock while you listen to the strut mounts for clicking and graunching noises. One caveat, do not "dry steer" to excess, it'll overheat the power steering motor in a hurry, and then its overheat protection will kick in giving you a message on the DIC and killing the power assist until the motor cools.

Spray silicone lubricant can be used on the bushings to quiet them for a while, I refer to it as "Shut up Fluid".
Old 01-20-2015, 04:45 AM
Platinum Member

One thing about the SS. The bumper covers(fascia ?) mount very loosely. In fact, they actually just kind of hang in place.
Hit a bump just right and they'll make some thumping noises.

Go out to your car and pull up on the covers by hand. You'll see what I mean.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:14 AM
Technical Moderator

There just happens to be an authoritative thread on the subject here : https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...g-pop-s-50648/