Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

clear coat peeling on wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 01:55 PM

clear coat peeling on wheels

I have an 07 2LT. The clear coat is really starting to peel on my high polished 17" wheels. anyone else have this. I keep them clean and have never used any harsh cleaners. Just a soft towel when drying them. also my headliner is rattling around sunroof area.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:02 PM
Banned

I have the same rims I think, no problems here. Idk what to tell ya bud. As for the headliner, that IS covered under warranty as far as I know. I had mine fallin down and buggin me, and they took care of it no prob.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:08 PM

It only has 51000 miles. I keep it clean. Spray it daily in these winter months. They have no curb rash or scuffs. peeling mainly on the spoked area. I don't get it. Thanks for the info on the headliner.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:40 PM
Banned

No problem man. My 08 is about to hit 40k and I told them about it, they jumped right on it. Being 6'2" you hear and notice ceiling things more than say a shorter person.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:51 PM

I remember my dad's Silverado's used to have this problem with it peeling on the wheels... We never figured out why...
Old 01-16-2011, 03:28 PM

There is no definitive answer as to why clearcoat peels on wheels. You could have run through a puddle of water at some point, that had some contaminates - in other words, some harsh chemicals could have run into that puddle, then your drove through it.

Another scenario is that when your car was at a shop, brake cleaner or some other chemical could have gotten on the wheels, then the shop wiped it off, but some residue was left behind.

There are just way too many scenarios to tell you exactly what could have caused it. It could even be due to the process of finishing the wheels at the factory...maybe the prep machine or person was just having a bad day.

In terms of a solution, you either have to get a body shop to re clear them for you (assuming you cannot do it yourself)....or you use this as an opportunity to get new wheels!!!
Old 01-16-2011, 03:48 PM

We had it peeling off the hubcaps on our G6, the service manager and tech kept arguing that it was from the carwash, even after we explained countless times how the car had never been through one. Thankfully the GM guy who looked at the car couldn't have cared less about it when we turned it in.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:19 PM

Some places on the headliner are held up with double-sided sticky tape, sounds like this has let go and a clip is vibrating, or you have a broken pin tab on the sunroof(very common) that is jiggling in the track. if this is the case be careful opening the sunroof as you may have a problem closing it again. Because of this we always tilt ours and seldom open all the way.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:06 PM

Every GM vehicle that I've had as well as 2 I currently own with clearcoat wheels all eventally peel. I'm expecting my HHR SS to do the same after the warrantee is up (that's when it starts). It's just one of those imperfections with the build of these cars.

On the otherhand, my '87 Suzuki Samurai has Centerlines that I installed back in 1988. They don't have clearcoat and while not as shiny as day one, still don't have any nasty imperfections such as the peeling.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:13 PM

^^^

yeah, I would rather they didn't clearcoat.

Quick Reply: clear coat peeling on wheels