Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Why not buy a code reader?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 08:15 AM

Question Why not buy a code reader?

For about $50 (maybe a little more; depending on where) you could buy your own code reader. I bought mine from Harbor Freight for about $40 on sale a couple of years ago. I've since bought a higher end unit that allows me to log data and do a number of other things but for simple code reading/clearing, the $40 one works fine.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by db/sb
For about $50 (maybe a little more; depending on where) you could buy your own code reader. I bought mine from Harbor Freight for about $40 on sale a couple of years ago. I've since bought a higher end unit that allows me to log data and do a number of other things but for simple code reading/clearing, the $40 one works fine.
This is GREAT db! I love Harbor Freight - I should check this out, I drive past there on my way to the dealership, so maybe I should stop in!
Old 12-13-2011, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by db/sb
I don't know why more people just don't go out and buy one of these things. I'd hate to take my car to a dealership blind. I always take the scanner on long trips; good thing I never had to use it while far away from home.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:54 AM

If you are going to buy a code reader spend a little extra and buy a good one. You don't have to spend a ton on the biggest and best but get one that will do most codes and will shut off the light.

Migh has a inventory that will read the code and then tell me what to check or replace. It also shuts off the code.

Note most readers will narrow down to what system is effected but there can often be more than one thing that needs checled. My GTP had a vapor system error and it was two things that it could have been. I found a bad vapor valve bad.

So in some cased the reader will tell you what needs replaced but beware there are time you still will have to do checking of what it could be but you will be in the right place.

Note mine has paid for itself with one use. Keep in mind these will work on more than one car. With 5 it comes in handy at our house over the years. I would invest in one of these before an extended warranty.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
If you are going to buy a code reader spend a little extra and buy a good one. You don't have to spend a ton on the biggest and best but get one that will do most codes and will shut off the light.

Migh has a inventory that will read the code and then tell me what to check or replace. It also shuts off the code.
Both of the ones I have will read and erase codes. I use the simpler one most often but I later purchased the more elaborate one. Yours sounds pretty similar in function. I can log and print data and other things that I've not yet used but I agree that they've both more than paid for themselves.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:15 PM

Also remember most smart phone can read and clear codes today. I use my Droid 2 or Nook Color along with a blue tooth adapter and the program torque. I can read/clear codes, see performance info, data log and monitor real time information. The program is cheap and the adapter can run from $30 to $100 for a good one.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:35 PM
Founding Member

Moved these posts from another thread. Good information but it was going off topic to the thread.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:44 PM

Like most things the more you can afford the better the unit will perform. You don't have to always have an expensive one but the better you can afford the more options you have and the better you will like it.

Most units run $50-200 and then the prices jump up much higher.

With todays cars they are worth the investment. Just be advised you still need a little mechanical knowledge and they will not always give you an exact reading.

Also most units will not cover ABS systems and some areas on some vehicles. To get these things you have to spend some real money.

Also look for units that can be updated with new software off the web. Things are ever changing with cars and the updated info will keep your current unit viable for much longer.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:02 PM
Premium Member

What do you think of this unit , it also includes an ABS reader.
Check it out, and let us know. Thanx
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...T|GRP2018_____
Old 12-14-2011, 03:20 PM

I bought a tech 2 from ebay a few years ago. You can find them pretty reasonable if you are patient. A local dealer was going out of business and they were selling a lot of their tools. I am borrowing a candi module from a friend until I can find my own.

Quick Reply: Why not buy a code reader?