Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Strut top nut is stuck

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 03:35 PM

Strut top nut is stuck

Hello,

I've got an '06 that I'm changing the front struts out on and I'm stuck, at least I think. I've got the struts off and the springs is compressed with a tool; but when I hit the nut at the top with the impact gun, the whole shaft spins. I've used vise grips and everything to try and clamp it down, is is supposed to spin? I would think not, but that's why I'm asking. I did a search but didn't come up with any answers with this problem. Thanks for any and all help!!
Old 12-10-2011, 05:10 PM
Technical Moderator

Usually the vice grips on the shaft works. Don't worry about ruining the shock absorber shaft, you are replacing that part. Are you sure that the spring is compressed enough so that the pressure on the top plate is relieved?
Old 12-10-2011, 10:05 PM
Platinum Member

If that doesn't work, add heat to the nut & try again, or get a nutcracker aka nut splitter..
Local auto parts should have a 'loaner'...
Old 12-11-2011, 06:14 AM
Platinum Member

My Dad used to say." Son.Get a bigger hammer!"
Old 12-11-2011, 09:09 AM

Thanks guys. I tried the vise grips, may need to get a bigger pair! LOL! (that's what she said) The shock shaft just spins when i hit it with the impact with the vise grips on the shaft. I'll try the heat and then the nut splitter next. If not, I'll have to put it back on till next week when I can order the top of the strut and replace the whole dang thing!
Old 12-11-2011, 09:18 AM
Deceased

A couple of things to try, use some penetrating oil on the nut and wait a while, check the spring compressor to make sure there is absolutely no tension still on the nut(be careful as always with the spring compressor, you've got a huge amount of stored energy there), and as dumb as it sounds...try to tighten the nut....if it moves when you tighten it, it'll eventually come off.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:35 PM
Technical Moderator

If you got the vice grips on tight enough, chances are you will not be able to reuse the strut! Likewise the heat, you will need to definitely replace the top mount, if you had not already planned on it (you should have). There is also a "special" tool that you can borrow from Advance/Zone etc. it is an offset socket with a hole in the center, so you can hold the top of the shaft. The top of the shaft may have a star or torx hole in it, or just a flattened end for a grip. Counter intuitively WD40 and a 1/2 drive just may be better than "air power".
Old 12-11-2011, 04:01 PM

Since you are replacing the strut anyway try a hack saw or angle grinder.

You really don’t need that particular nut on your strut and I’m pretty sure you got a new one with the new strut anyway.

If not there are lots of hardware stores that will gladly sell you a new nut to use with your new strut.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:11 PM

I'm with Donbrew, try a 1/2" drive and quit with the airpower. I had the same issue when replacing my swaybar links and the airhammer just spun the whole shaft with vise grips as tight as I could get them, but the manual way (after a dousing of penetrating oil) work much better... yes, more work, but in the long run it paid off.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:54 AM

Doesnt the top of the strut havve a internal wrenh head? AKA..allen wrench?

Quick Reply: Strut top nut is stuck