Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Electric Power Steering EZ fix no recall

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 09:27 AM

I was also experiencing the Power Steering failure and the dealer was no help. I was afraid I would need to replace the motor also. However, I was also having the warped rotor issue (again) and found that after I replaced the rotors and the front end shimmy was cured I have not had the power steering failure again. There is some thought that the shimmy causes the power steering to overwork and therefore rapidly overheat.

Can't guarantee this is the ONLY issue, but thought I would throw it out as an intermediate, anecdotal experience. Those rotors need to be replaced anyway!
Old 04-27-2010, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
What part # did you install?

I'd like to know this also, just in case.....

My mother just got the notice for her 06 Cobalt, and also one for the fuel injectors (cracking issue). I told her to take it in as soon as she can, she's 78 and loosing PS could mess with her bad.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:31 AM

Mine went out @ 29,000 miles. It just becomes harder to steer, like the tires are low on air. no real safety issues. At first it would reset and stay good for a few days then rapidly became a every time you drive thing.
Victor
Old 04-27-2010, 03:59 PM

Could someome out there please tell me just what makes the PS work? Is it an electric motor over hydraulics?
Mo
Old 04-27-2010, 04:58 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by T 20
Could someome out there please tell me just what makes the PS work? Is it an electric motor over hydraulics?
Mo
Electric motor mounted to the steering column.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by AlpacaSteve
I was also experiencing the Power Steering failure and the dealer was no help. I was afraid I would need to replace the motor also. However, I was also having the warped rotor issue (again) and found that after I replaced the rotors and the front end shimmy was cured I have not had the power steering failure again. There is some thought that the shimmy causes the power steering to overwork and therefore rapidly overheat.

Can't guarantee this is the ONLY issue, but thought I would throw it out as an intermediate, anecdotal experience. Those rotors need to be replaced anyway!
Mine would fail before I left the parking lot. Not time nor speed for any shimmy.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:17 AM

My son's training for his driving test - doing LOTS of parallel parking out in front of the house - the PS has gone off twice. I did the reset thing (pulled fuse and circuit breaker described elsewhere here) once, called the dealer and had it looked at Friday (5-21-2010).

OVERHEATING DOES THIS>

I got an email from the dealer with the following bulletins referenced:
Document ID: 2322970

#07-02-32-007B: Diagnostic Tips for Power Steering Inoperative/Steering Wheel Hard to Turn, Power Steering Message Displayed on DIC, DTCs C0176, C0475, C0476, C0550, U2105, U2107 Set - (Aug 6, 2009)

Power Steering Warning Message on DIC with DTCs C0176 and C0476
This condition is often the result of excessive lock-to-lock turns of the steering wheel, causing the thermal protection in the power steering control module (PSCM) to take the steering motor temporarily off line. This is a normal operating characteristic of the system.

No repairs necessary. Drove around over the weekend, no problems. Hope this helps someone out. But the $125 motor replacement seems easy enough if necessary. Stuff breaks.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:55 PM

just had mine replaced under warranty. my service esc message code was in place. my dealer replaced the power steering motor and a sensor. problem fixed. car has 27k. hhr ss.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by normbal
My son's training for his driving test - doing LOTS of parallel parking out in front of the house - the PS has gone off twice. I did the reset thing (pulled fuse and circuit breaker described elsewhere here) once, called the dealer and had it looked at Friday (5-21-2010).

OVERHEATING DOES THIS>

I got an email from the dealer with the following bulletins referenced:
Document ID: 2322970

#07-02-32-007B: Diagnostic Tips for Power Steering Inoperative/Steering Wheel Hard to Turn, Power Steering Message Displayed on DIC, DTCs C0176, C0475, C0476, C0550, U2105, U2107 Set - (Aug 6, 2009)

Power Steering Warning Message on DIC with DTCs C0176 and C0476
This condition is often the result of excessive lock-to-lock turns of the steering wheel, causing the thermal protection in the power steering control module (PSCM) to take the steering motor temporarily off line. This is a normal operating characteristic of the system.

No repairs necessary. Drove around over the weekend, no problems. Hope this helps someone out. But the $125 motor replacement seems easy enough if necessary. Stuff breaks.

I would expect anything having to do with steering to last at least 100K. If they build an electrically actuated unit, they should put limit switches on each end so it doesn't stall against the stops. Poor design. Don't they buy this from Toyota?
Old 06-02-2010, 03:13 PM

crap!!! mine went out yesterday,after they so called replaced it. well the first time,my power steering was fine,now it's gone. mine never came back. once i got to work,the car sat for 4 hours. so cooling down didn't work for me. car went back to the dealer yesterday.

Quick Reply: Electric Power Steering EZ fix no recall