Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Electric Power Steering EZ fix no recall

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 05:32 PM

any news yet of a recall on the power steering motor?
Old 09-17-2012, 09:28 AM

I seen a mesage that had pictures of how to take out the power steering motor now I can't find it can someone help?
Old 09-18-2012, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by David S
I seen a mesage that had pictures of how to take out the power steering motor now I can't find it can someone help?
it is in the 'how to guide' section https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/power-steering-motor-replacement-w-pics-31289/
Old 12-24-2013, 06:03 PM

Power Steering, Intermittent

Thank you for answering my trouble shooting conundrum. My power steering periodically goes out; I called the local Dealer to price both the motor and the column. He had sold a few motors but never a column thus statistically it is the motor that is the problem. I Bought the motor today, will replace tomorrow.

Originally Posted by FLORIDA
Like many others soon after the Electric Power Steering recall on other GM like cars, Cobalt, but not HHR, I then experienced the Electric Power Steering problem. It would reset after it cooled down, but it tripped every day. I was able to fix it myself by replacing the Electric Power Steering motor under the dash on the column. It is mounted with 2 bolts. I was told the dealer would not issue a recall and it would cost about $400. I replaced it myself with the new replacement for only $125.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:24 PM

Are all years and models of HHR's affected? Were the replacement motors installed as a running change on the last couple years of HHR's? Are these replacement PS motors dated either on the box or part itself?
Thanks,
Motoretro
Old 03-06-2014, 09:58 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by motoretro
Are all years and models of HHR's affected? Were the replacement motors installed as a running change on the last couple years of HHR's? Are these replacement PS motors dated either on the box or part itself?
Thanks,
Motoretro
affected by what? They break.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:37 PM

I have a 2006 HHR LT that the power steering light keeps coming on and I lose my power steering. If I shut the car off and restart it, its works fine for awhile. I spoke with the dealer he said no recall issued for the year. What are your recommendations. I don't have $700 the dealer quoted.

Ken
Old 05-18-2014, 03:53 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by happydaze
I have a 2006 HHR LT that the power steering light keeps coming on and I lose my power steering. If I shut the car off and restart it, its works fine for awhile. I spoke with the dealer he said no recall issued for the year. What are your recommendations. I don't have $700 the dealer quoted.

Ken
GM Recalls Older Model Vehicles to Fix Power Steering

Read this link, then take it to your dealer. NOT a recall, a Lifetime Warranty. Seems like a lot of dealers are playing a game of answering your question and not one word more.

But, the part only costs about $115 and takes 30 minutes to do.

I SEARCHed "power steering" and got this thread first suggestion. https://www.google.com/url?q=https:/...CU1hvnVhUsfPGA
Old 05-19-2014, 09:34 AM

Hi Guys,
I fixed it by replacing a front bad tire, it has a very small knob under the tire, so it was causing vibration that the computer detected, It was till I changed the front tires that it was solved by itself,
after like 6 months I had the same problem so I checked for any vibration again and it was the front brake pads needed a replacement and was causing small vibrations so I changed the brake pads and it solved the problem again, I havent had the problem since 2 years ago.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:04 PM

Is GM still doing the recall on the PS motor....

Motoretro

Quick Reply: Electric Power Steering EZ fix no recall