Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

keyless entry/remote start

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 05:00 AM

keyless entry/remote start

Just wanted to share this info for anyone who may have a problem..................
For past 2-3 mo. the keyless entry (FOB) would not work on a very intermittant basis...went to dealer first time and it wouldn't duplicate. They gave me a bulletin about Frequency Interference. Said lots of devices, ie cell phone cords plugged in without phone, wireless doorbells, garage door openers ect, can cause this. I've had remote keyless entry on several cars for a few years..never heard of this causing a problem..anyway..recommended RKE fob tester to sweep area???
Second time to dealer would not duplicate...then I read the thread on this site and tried checking the battery in the fob, and other tips..Third time I went straight to dealer..and ..it duplicated and did not work...diagnosis : RCDLR not sending signal to lock..has internal failure...Got a new receiver and reprogrammed
Both are working fine and consistantly now...It did not show a code. Thankfully was under warranty..no cost...just had to clean up alot of grease in back of vehicle, didn't see it at dealer..note to self...check interior and exterior BEFORE leaving dealer...
Old 07-22-2007, 07:30 AM
jx3

Well, you do know the saying goes "THE THIRD TIME'S THE CHARM"!!

Glad to hear you got the problem fixed.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:47 PM

Do the battery"s go bad in these.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:23 PM

Also, the solder holding the battery retainer in on the circuit board inside the fob is pretty weak. This retainer also serves as a battery contact. It could have been designed better or at least soldered with a more significant amount of solder. This causes intermittent issues also. Everyone should check this and resolder as necessary. I had this same problem with Viper and Python fobs as well.

It's possible the receiver needed to be swapped out, but I thought this would bear mentioning because it could also be a coincidence. Sometimes just moving the remote around can cause it to start working again for a while.

For this reason, I do not recommend putting our fobs in a pants pocket. It puts stress on the board causing the solder to fracture easily.

And to answer the last post: Yes, all batteries go bad.

For the reasons mentioned above, whenever replacing the battery, always remove the circuit board completely and slide the battery out. NEVER pull up on the battery retainer.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:40 PM
jx3

Originally Posted by crazybob
Sometimes just moving the remote around can cause it to start working again for a while.
It seems as if my FOB has just started w/ this exact senario. Come out to the car, no response from remote to unlock. Smack it in my hand, lo and behold, miraculously starts working again!!

For this reason, I do not recommend putting our fobs in a pants pocket. It puts stress on the board causing the solder to fracture easily.
Then where should us guys keep it?
Old 10-29-2007, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by jx3
It seems as if my FOB has just started w/ this exact senario. Come out to the car, no response from remote to unlock. Smack it in my hand, lo and behold, miraculously starts working again!!

Do you really want to know? whether it is in your pocket or a ladies purse or some other place, it should have to effect since the circuity is enclosed in a rigid case. I've never had any problem with any fobs in 10 year that I've had them. Even lost one while cleaning up brush outside and after rain and shine, I found it 2 wks later and it worked fine.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by jx3

If you don't have a jacket pocket? Put the keys into your pocket with the fob dangling out. It looks kinda geekish, but it works.

I'll bet your battery retainer needs to be soldered like mentioned before. Hey, at least if you know how to fix it, go ahead and keep in your pants pocket, I guess.

A purse isn't the same. The problem is in your front pants pocket, the board gets flexed when you walk. It's really a poor design. I liked the older style fobs better that used a 12V cylindrical type battery. They didn't have this problem.

An08HHR, you'll find this out sooner or later. Let us know when yours fails.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:45 PM
jx3

If you don't have a jacket pocket? Put the keys into your pocket with the fob dangling out. It looks kinda geekish, but it works.
Have lost to many key chains/fobs this way. I always seem to snag them on something.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:16 PM

This similar situation just happen to me..
First the key would sometimes get stuck in the ignition, then finally one
day the Key Fob then wouldn't work and my key definitly got stuck in the ignition.

Search the fuses in the lower kick panel on passenger side, and found the 2 amp fuse blown. Once I replaced that one, the key was able to be released.

Key fob, still doesn't work, (I've checked both for proper transmitting - both are okay).. Going to replace the receiver next now.... (2006 HHR)
Old 04-07-2009, 10:19 PM

Also, the solder holding the battery retainer in on the circuit board inside the fob is pretty weak. This retainer also serves as a battery contact. It could have been designed better or at least soldered with a more significant amount of solder. This causes intermittent issues also. Everyone should check this and resolder as necessary. I had this same problem with Viper and Python fobs as well.
For the reasons mentioned above, whenever replacing the battery, always remove the circuit board completely and slide the battery out. NEVER pull up on the battery retainer.
Thats what happened to mine.