Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Open Hatchback with dead battery?

Old 12-27-2009, 09:52 PM

Open Hatchback with dead battery?

Dead battery, locked hatchback, locked up or blew something that prevents jumper charge and no position to take in to a mechanic. Any other way to open the hatchback?
Old 12-27-2009, 10:00 PM

you jump it from hood put positive jumper cable on front post on hood panel negative jumper cable on strut bolt
Old 12-27-2009, 10:03 PM

Look here

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...ght=open+hatch
Old 12-27-2009, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by miguelcoronado
Dead battery, locked hatchback, locked up or blew something that prevents jumper charge and no position to take in to a mechanic. Any other way to open the hatchback?
The Owners Manual explains how to open the hatch from the inside and how to properly charge and jump start the HHR.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by miguelcoronado
See:
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/how-liftgate-emergency-switch-22192/
Post 15 & 17 show you how to do it the easy way with another battery.

I got frustrated with the "Manual Latch" on the hatch back interior, as I would not be able to reach it most of the time. The Owners manual instructions are correct - it is just something that requires practice before you really need to get in - in a hurry.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:32 PM

Resolved - Manually open Hatchback & Charged Battery

Thank you for your responses. Opened hatchback, charged battery, replaced power steering fuse and all is well. My son ran battery down using heater with car not running. Battery did not have to be replaced. Thank you so much. Your answers were another way to have my prayers answered during the Holidays!
Old 12-30-2009, 11:29 PM

Now that's cool
Old 12-31-2009, 05:12 AM

Be careful Miguel, with modern batteries, you can't "hurt" them like old batteries and then recharge them. At least that has been my experience. It is like they have a memory and remember, then get even with you. When that has happened to me and I jumped the battery, it left me sitting dead soon after. It may not happen to you, but just be ready just in case. God Bless, Marc
Old 12-31-2009, 03:13 PM

If the battery is dead the second switch won't help. There was a post on here some time ago using a very small 12V battery and 2 jumper wires to the underhood fuse box to activate the rear liftgate switch so you can open it from the outside. (couldn't find it using the search but the post had pictures)

Pull relay #18 and connect the Positive jumper to terminal 87 and the negative jumper to the strut tower bolt and the switch will work.

If the vehicle battery still has power jump from the positive batter terminal next to the fuse box to terminal 87 and it does the same thing.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by skyeglen
If the battery is dead the second switch won't help. There was a post on here some time ago using a very small 12V battery and 2 jumper wires to the underhood fuse box to activate the rear liftgate switch so you can open it from the outside. (couldn't find it using the search but the post had pictures).
See the link and instructions in post #5 for the write up and pictures. You must get to post #15 & 17 of that thread to see pictures of using an aux battery.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Open Hatchback with dead battery?