Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

amp for 12.2 orion hcca

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 08:12 AM

amp for 12.2 orion hcca

So my wife said xmas she will get me the 12.2 orion hcca i have been wanting! but anyways i was wondering what would be a good amp to power the beast sub and if i would need a extra battery or just replace the stock battery with a bigger one?
Old 09-30-2011, 10:03 AM

anyone???
Old 09-30-2011, 01:50 PM
Deceased

OK Juan, since I was over at Crutchfield poking around for something else I checked to see what they recommend to power the sub you're looking at.

Sundown - SAZ-1500D

Powerbass - XA-1500D

Hifonics - BXI-1608D or BXI-2008D

As far as needing another battery, or a larger battery, can't help you much other than to give you a link to some threads on dual battery setups used to power systems.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/sear...archid=1789561

I'd say that once you've settled on the amp you want, search the web to see how folks are powering it in general.

P.S. I'm an old geezer when it comes to car audio, like installing 8-Tracks old, so I wish you luck.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:51 AM

I am also an old dude but, I likes my subs.

I don’t have one in my ‘06 HHR but there is a place to put one and I have been tinkering with the idea of just stabbing one with a 25 watt dedicated plate amp in the hole.

The relatively low wattage sub will be more than enough to rock my world. My nephew on the other hand likes to build custom show rods with those wall of speakers in them.

He has a ‘96 Pontiac Grand Am that is about as customized as you can get. Amongst other things he has done there is nitrous oxide injection to the original 2.0 four banger with special exhaust and intake. He has dropped the body nearly 5 inches so he has to run special small diameter wheels and tires that look like they are too thin to hold any air.

He has made the doors so they hinge on the opposite end and sort of swing up when you push a button on the remote key fob. There is no chrome on the car to see anymore except on the back panel near the center where it says Grand Am.

Inside are no less than 4-18” sub woofers each driven by its own bridged 500 watt per channel amp. There are several mid range speakers and a bucket full of tweeters in there too.

The trunk is full of batteries {at least 6} to power it all because when your in competition you can’t drag a drop cord over to charge the batteries.

He has three high capacity alternators under the hood to charge them.

Now,… I like to feel my music, but not from the opposite end of the county.

BTW I also have functioning 8 track decks and two 8 track recorders.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:41 AM
Deceased

"BTW I also have functioning 8 track decks and two 8 track recorders."

Me too, man this is like finding out you aren't alone on the deserted island in the Pacific where you washed up after the shipwreck.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:53 PM

Sorry for the blatant highjack of your thread dude,…

In the early ‘70’s I had probably the first mobile 8-track deck in a car in my county {maybe even the three county area} I know I had the first FM stereo 8-track deck in a car in my part of Wisconsin the very next summer.

FM broadcast radio was just starting to play whole albums at night back then.

I worked diligently to get more base response from the cheesy speakers available at the time. I soon discovered that it made little difference how much power an amp had to offer if the speakers couldn’t handle it you might as well have a pocket transistor radio.

I obtained all manner of books on how to port speaker cabinets and built many of them. Some worked out mighty fine others not so fine at all especially when you considered the cost of the speakers in the first place.

Of course now you can roll up to your local Wal-Mart and drive a way with a pretty awesomeasswackin’monsterkiller system, even if it is mostly junk.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Juan
So my wife said xmas she will get me the 12.2 orion hcca i have been wanting! but anyways i was wondering what would be a good amp to power the beast sub and if i would need a extra battery or just replace the stock battery with a bigger one?
Put in an extra battery for sure. Something like an XS Power D925 or bigger, if your budget allows. Best amp for that sub would be like a 3KWP, built well, and won't break the bank. Or, you can get an Alpine 1000w MRP-M1000, but I'd go with the Crescendo. Gives you plenty of headroom.