Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Warranty issue or .... ?

Old 08-31-2009, 12:54 AM
Platinum Member

Warranty issue or .... ?

Just found a very minor windshield crack behind the Right side wiper..

No indications of a stone or road debris hitting it at all, just a tiny crack, seems to have come up from the bottom of windshield & curved just like the w.wiper lays. About 4" long in total........(so far)..

Anyone think the 3/36 warranty would cover this ??

Or the dealer I just brought it home from saturday ??

Also, anyone else have a similiar crack ??

Thank You in advance
Old 08-31-2009, 06:01 AM

I guess you could check the dealer out if you just bought the car. Glass normally isn't covered by the warrenty.

I had my windshield replaced by the insurance company, but I had the car for more than a year as glass coverage is part of my insurance package. Safelight came to the house and fixed it. Insurance paid $500 for the glass.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:25 PM

I would be interested in what others have to say about broken windshield glass! Otherwise, how does the dealer handle it.

My HHR has had a "stress body crack" since month one of ownership(new). I have had no other reason to take the vehicle back to a dealer so they have not looked at it.

How do I know it is a "stress body crack" and not a rock? It happened when I jacked up the front right tire to put on snow traction devices. My crack starts from behind the center rear view mirror and then takes a sharp turn towards the passenger side. The crack is just now coming out from behind the rearview mirror and into the driver’s field of view.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:22 PM
Platinum Member

OK, the Dealer has agreed to replace it free of charge.. Since I just bought it. That's a welcome relief....

I drop it off tomorrow & they will have the passenger window re-tinted as well..Then detailed again.....

Just checked (for the sake of knowing), my Ins Co said: if I was still living in Fla, they do free windshield replacements, no deductable..

But up here in TN, this ever happen again, I would have to pay my deductable. or pay for the repair myself.. (whichever is cheaper)..

But I did learn that if I have my Panel inspected by my Local Geico Rep.(my Ins Co) after the Dealer replaces the windshield..

I can lower my deductable to only $50.(per incident) & that would only raise my ins. premium by $9. dollars..(per 6 mos). For these kinda of things..ie: windshield / vandalism & road paint chips, etc, etc....

OH YEAH, I'll be doing that....
Old 08-31-2009, 11:30 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Sno White
I would be interested in what others have to say about broken windshield glass! Otherwise, how does the dealer handle it.

My HHR has had a "stress body crack" since month one of ownership(new). I have had no other reason to take the vehicle back to a dealer so they have not looked at it.

How do I know it is a "stress body crack" and not a rock? It happened when I jacked up the front right tire to put on snow traction devices. My crack starts from behind the center rear view mirror and then takes a sharp turn towards the passenger side. The crack is just now coming out from behind the rearview mirror and into the driver’s field of view.
Bummer, did you jack it up at the correct places to lift it ? I know cold weather is easier to crack glass..

Arrrgh...Uni-body... I like frames, but what ya gonna do ?
Old 08-31-2009, 11:58 PM

Glad they came through for you and agreed to fix it!

I picked up my car at 11:50 PM on a Friday night (six hours at the dealer because of the CFC rush, it was at that time the original last day of the program). I told them it was too dark to do a good inspection and I rechecked it out the next morning.

I carry $200 deductable on collision and $0 deductable on comprehensive and glass. I've had that on my cars for well over 15 years. Liberty Mutual had no problem giving me the same coverage on my 09 car when I changed policy. Funny going from a 1988 BMW to a 2009 HHR is only costing me an extra $9 a month.

Get these things cleared up and enjoy your Panel Billy!

Fred
Old 09-01-2009, 01:07 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by mgfred
Glad they came through for you and agreed to fix it!
Me too Fred, think I caught a break there..Thank GOD..

I picked up my car at 11:50 PM on a Friday night (six hours at the dealer because of the CFC rush, it was at that time the original last day of the program). 6 hours !!!!! & I thought my deal took long, Holy Cow !! I know we were the last out @ 8:30pm. They close at 8:pm I told them it was too dark to do a good inspection and I rechecked it out the next morning. That was a good move.. I thought I did both my pre-inspections pretty thoroughly.. Guess I missed that windshield crack, or I do suspect it happened while the guy was taking off the painted on list price & some details. ?? Hard to say..But according to the Manager, that guy had no biz touching my HHR..

I carry $200 deductable on collision and $0 deductable on comprehensive and glass. That's good, I think I'm gonna re-evaluate my deductables & etc. (after this scare)..

I've had that on my cars for well over 15 years. Liberty Mutual had no problem giving me the same coverage on my 09 car when I changed policy.
I hear ya, we've been with Geico for at least 12 yrs, IIRC ?

Funny going from a 1988 BMW to a 2009 HHR is only costing me an extra $9 a month. That's pretty cool..

Now me going from my 98 Chevy S-10 to the 08 Panel only costs $44. more, same coverage...

Get these things cleared up and enjoy your Panel Billy! Thanks Fred, that IS the plan.. I really am enjoying the new vehicle.. There are buttons I still have no clue what they do.... But I will...

Fred
Billy
Old 09-01-2009, 12:23 PM

What buttons?

It took me a couple of weeks of reading the owners manual and everything I could online, but I figured everything out.

I joke about jumping 21 years into the future going from the 88 325i to the 09 HHR, but my BMW had it's own sort of DIC on it. Worked great until the light burnt out and I found out that you had to take apart the dashboard to replace it. Kinda like with my old 66 Caddy needing the rear bumper loosened by a body shop to replace the tail lights.

Fred
Old 09-01-2009, 01:02 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Sno White

Run your finger nail down the crack. If no chips are found I consider it a stress crack. If I find any chips, no matter how small it's not warranty.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:00 AM
Platinum Member

Fred- agreed quite a change from older vehicles..

I was just referring to the stereo, XM & etc buttons.. I'm in my manual getting it figured out.. Now if I can just remember what I've read...

ChevyMgr-

As always, very good info....Thank You Sir.

Do you see many HHR windshield stress cracks ??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Warranty issue or .... ?