Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

INOP Horn Issue, Dealer Story

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 08:46 AM

Thumbs down INOP Horn Issue, Dealer Story

I do have a modest automotive background and fairly extensive understanding of how a Automotive Service Department works be it Dealer specifc or general oil, lube, brakes shop. I also have a VERY extensive Customer Service Background.

For the Most part my Wife's 2007 Chevrolet HHR LT has been trouble free for the most part. It has 22k on the clock and going out of Warrentee soon. It has had one Brake Job due to warped rotor issue and have had steering components changed due to a knock as the wheel corrected itself. We go to this Local CHevy dealer as my Father-in-law has done TONS of biz with this particular place.

Recently she had 2 issues, one being that the Horn stop working Intermittenly and that the rear gold bowtie emblem is peeling (common). When I say that this is random, it really is. I first thought this to be "heat" related as if it was driven for long distances or if it sits in a parking lot, it stops but over night it cools and acts fine in the morning.

So I bring it on Sunday evening, I write on the drop off ticket to call my Father-in-law ANY issues or questions, he is retired and beleive me likes to keep busy.

I recived no calls, he was told the car was ready for pick up, I show up for 5pm Monday to get this car.

I see on the R/O that basically nothing is done, the emblem was not replaced, (special order 1-2 days), and the horn was not fixed. Their answer was we could not get it to duplicate.....

Ok I understand that you need to duplicate something to diagnose it and thus to fix it. BUT After determining that this decision was made at 9:15 AM!! and that NO calls were made at all to anyone and the vehicle was driven outside is freakin stupid and insane.

As a customer service aspect, you would expect a phone call to say, "We can't duplicate it, can we ask you a clarifing question???"

No, they push it outside and wait for me to show up. Now I am a little heated as I know it does not work and I need the car now. So I say, I will duplicate the INOP Horn and bring it back. I take the keys and walk outside and low and behold, the Horn DOES NOT WORK.

Head back in and state the facts, they send THE tech (bumpkin) out to assess and finally scratches his head to check the Fuse box in the engine bay.

Looking up the relays he decides to finally Diag. the situation and changes the Foglight Relay with the Horn Relay (which I do not have Fog Lights) and it works!! Now they need to order a relay, since they have nothing on hand......

Now I understand Warrentee work does not pay like a Un-warrenteed job but really!? I should have gotten paid for this job. I would have charged 1hr on the book and 5/10th's for Diag.

Not all places are created equal but these are the reasons why I do not bother with GM extended Warrentee. As I have little faith on them getting the job done.

I have another story with the above mentioned brakes but I'll post about that another day. Talk about half assed.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:11 AM

This is exactly how the Chevy dealer in Centerline, MI works. They tell you what you want to hear. It is hard to believe that these dealers do business like this and stay in business. If they service you like this, they are servicing others the same way. The tough part is finding a dealer that is honest and caring about their customers. Good luck!
Old 06-22-2010, 02:53 PM

When my onstar had an intermittent problem, i used the movie mode on my digital camera then brought it into the dealer and played back the video It really got the ball rolling, they could not say there was no problem they could replicate. Maybe that is some advice that will help you down the road?
Old 06-22-2010, 04:34 PM

Thats fine, the car was dropped off the night before, info left via phone back on Saturday and info listed in the Drop Box. If you cannot replicate something, then call which was the specific direction. Them ignoring it was the wrong move.