Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

How to wash California Duster?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 10:38 PM

How to wash California Duster?

Well actually mine is by turtle wax, but same idea.

Any thoughts on how to wash it. I've had it for awhile and used to use on my other vehicles, finally found it in a box so now the hhr gets to use it. But, i want to wash it and mine didn't have any instructions for washing.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:47 PM
Banned

You don't wash it. Once it starts leaving crap behind, pitch it.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:19 AM

From the California Car Duster Website:

"Because of a special permanently baked in paraffin treatment, The Original California Dusters are made to provide years of effective service without the need for cleaning. Simply shake them out before and after each use. The "dirtier" they get the better they work.

If you find it necessary to clean your Duster because it is too dirty or if the Duster stops lifting dust, it can be washed. You may hand wash your Duster in cold water with a mild detergent such as Woolite, then air dry. Do not use hot water to wash or hot air to dry, as heat or harsh detergent may remove the special paraffin treatment."
Old 07-23-2008, 07:28 AM

thanks hillsdale. I've heard the dirtier they get the better they work aspect but since i haven't used it in a long time and don't remember the last time i used it i wanted to make sure i'm not rubbing crap on the car.

I'll try those washing instructions and see how it goes. It just didn't make any sense to use and throw out eventually, way too wasteful.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:36 AM

Do the Dusters Marr the Clearcoat? I'm about to purchase some things to take care of the car's finish and want to know if this is something I need to put on the list. Living in Oklahoma means having a dusty car in the middle of summer.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by HillsdaleHHR
If you find it necessary to clean your Duster because it is too dirty or if the Duster stops lifting dust, it can be washed. You may hand wash your Duster in cold water with a mild detergent such as Woolite, then air dry. Do not use hot water to wash or hot air to dry, as heat or harsh detergent may remove the special paraffin treatment."
It'll never work the same again. I have known people who've done this with Woolite and/or whatever equivalent crap you can get through Amway, and you're better off getting a new duster if the old one is leaving more behind than it picks up-especially smearing. Just shake it out real good and see if it smears--it's probably fine.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:09 AM

I agree with hhrcrafty... I have never washed mine... If it is too dirty and starts leaving particles, I just throw it away and buy a new one. They are not that expensive.

(I have a different California Duster for each vehicle... don't want to mix dust from one veh to another)...
Old 07-23-2008, 08:19 AM

It's good to watch cross contamination. =)

Does dusting marr the finish?
Old 07-23-2008, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Norsican
It's good to watch cross contamination. =)

Does dusting marr the finish?
I've been using the same duster on my ride going on 3 years

The idea of the duster is to help keep it clean between washings. If you dust daily not a problem. I follow this with a clean microfiber towel and quick detailer mist. Shouldn't marr the finish if you give the duster a good shake before you return it to it's bag.

Just don't expect it to dust off that thick coat of dirt that's been on the surface for a week, thats when you can run into problems.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:48 AM

I did wash my duster with Woolite. It takes days to dry though. I have the really big one, motorhome size! I didn't notice any decline in its removing of dust. It seems to work just fine still.

However, I would just get a new one next time I think it is too dirty. I never use it on my other cars. They are cheap enough to replace and that woolite is pricey unless you have some laying around.

Quick Reply: How to wash California Duster?