Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Yes another tire size fitment ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 03:13 AM

Yes another tire size fitment ???

Hi there all - From looking around the site it looks like I will be good to go but just wanted to be sure and thought to ask those in the know. I am ready for new tires so that means it is finally time to upgrade my rims as well .

I am looking at running these rims http://www.ebay.com/itm/18-MILANNI-4...2a0629&vxp=mtr

They are 18" x 7.5" with a +38mm offset. I want to run 225/40/18's on them. I am thinking that clearing the strut should be ok but will I have to roll the inner fender. I can't get these locally so I will have to buy before I try which is why I want to confirm with all you all first .
Old 11-01-2012, 02:13 PM

Anyone???
Old 11-01-2012, 03:03 PM
Platinum Member

No responses might be because your post didn't actually ask a question. Just stated what you are looking at and that you think they will be OK.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:15 PM

Sorry that it does not appear that way. I am asking will I have fitment issues. I stated that it looks like it works to show that I have searched. I am asking will I have to roll the fenders or have any fitment issues with this offset. Looking at 18's over on discount tire they show 40 and 45mm offset wheels. This is making me question it even more now.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:16 PM

A couple of things to consider! Those tires should clear but..... How low does your HHR sit below stock? Also all tires have width varitions in footprints! What maybe 9" wide by one manufactuer could be 9 1/2" wide by another! So any tire wider than stock with a wheel that has less offset than stock is a tough call!

Best-O-Luck ,
Old 11-01-2012, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
No responses might be because your post didn't actually ask a question. Just stated what you are looking at and that you think they will be OK.
I guess I missed using a ? in this part sorry :

Originally Posted by 07azhhr

They are 18" x 7.5" with a +38mm offset. I want to run 225/40/18's on them. I am thinking that clearing the strut should be ok but will I have to roll the inner fender. I can't get these locally so I will have to buy before I try which is why I want to confirm with all you all first .
I
Old 11-01-2012, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mrs. DLVRNIT
A couple of things to consider! Those tires should clear but..... How low does your HHR sit below stock? Also all tires have width varitions in footprints! What maybe 9" wide by one manufactuer could be 9 1/2" wide by another! So any tire wider than stock with a wheel that has less offset than stock is a tough call!

Best-O-Luck ,
Car is stock height. Stock offset is 40, correct? These being at 38 would be pushed outward if I am not mistaken and I am now seeng discount showing 40 and 45 offset wheels so I am a little concerned, even more so now then when I posted last night.

I have found a couple rims that are 40mm offset that I am liking as well so if need be to play it safe I could just go with one of them. If I stick with tires that measure 9" would I be relatively safer with any of the offset options?
Old 11-01-2012, 03:31 PM

40 or 42 offset would be prefered! Sitting stock height a popular tire size is 225 x 45 x 18..... That is what we run with no rubbing issues on a SS Cobalt Wheel! Also you end up with less gap (than say a 40 series or profile) between the tire and fender which is also prefered by the majority of owners .....
Old 11-01-2012, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by DLVRNIT
40 or 42 offset would be prefered! Sitting stock height a popular tire size is 225 x 45 x 18..... That is what we run with no rubbing issues on a SS Cobalt Wheel! Also you end up with less gap (than say a 40 series or profile) between the tire and fender which is also prefered by the majority of owners .....
I want to go with the 40's to help get my speedometer back to exact. Right now when I drive by the speed display things around town I am consitantly 1mph over what my speedometer shows. When I ran the numbers over on Discount it showed that the 40's would reduce my speed about .6mph while the 45's would increase the speed by almost 2mph in relation to the speed disply things. Basically it makes it appear that the 40's will have my speedo showing very close to the same as those speed displays while the 45's will have me doing almost 3mph more then what my speedo is displaying. I understand that there will be slight differences between tires but this seems like it would keep me closer then further.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:00 PM

Just a thought..... We have a 140 mph speedo in our HHR! The speedo needle can easily be moved 1 to 2 mph forward or back to achive the proper setting (not what we did but it can be done)! Sounds like it might have been a little off from the factory if your running stock sized tires now and getting a miss reading! Also putting on a smaller diameter tire to get a correct speedo reading kind of seems like a improper fix but hey, to each his own.....

Best-O-Luck ,

Quick Reply: Yes another tire size fitment ???