"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Side mirror plastic hot glue fix first attempt

Old 04-05-2024, 04:30 PM
Premium Member

Side mirror plastic hot glue fix first attempt

Feel free to offer some better options or ways to clean it up if you think there is a better method!

I tested this on my 2010 LT with 225k because it's somewhat of a beater and looks weren't too important. I will experiment with ways to clean it up later (perhaps non-marring pry tool)

The point of this was to get them flush again so I can install the external mounted rain guards (I'm not a fan of the in-channel versions, as they constantly get stuck, don't offer as much air flow and depending on the version you get, they can be thin, oddly shaped and won't allow you to open the window as much because one side will be too high or too low. Also, the external mounted can help against rain getting into the top of the window rubber seals if they happen to be old or mangled, which was the case with my project SS)

I used a ryobi hot glue gun with a dewalt battery adapter

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ON...921B/319944348

Amazon Amazon

This is how the plastic looked before

Here's what it looks like behind the plastic piece

And here's the result on the driver's side when I almost ran out of glue and didn't use as much

And here is using too much and before I tried to remove the extra somehow.