"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

EVAP Canister Vent Solenoid Valve Replacement

Old 03-30-2014, 06:02 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by 2toneHHR
I am having the same issue with my 2007. I tried the new gas cap since it was quick and cheap but now its time to look a little deeper. Today I plan on checking the wiring as per this discussion...
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/p0449-code-20547/
If I don't find anything there, I will be working on following this list.

Thanks again.
Exactly what do you mean by "the same issue"? Do you have a Pxxxx code to share?
Old 03-30-2014, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by JWA
Just wanted to add my 2 cents.

<snip> I followed my hunch and went after the wiring. Yep had an open wire in the harness in the rear of the car. I tried a repair and even though the harness was checking out the code was still showing up. Did not want to pay the $160($250) for an 18 inch 2 wire / 2 connector harness I went to the local J-yard and got a used one for $10. Since it had the old style connector I put my original EVAP valve back in. Yippee! All codes cleared and my remote start works again
The reasoning of why the harness was bad? I live out in the sticks on oiled gravel roads and I suspect I took a hit from a rock that got a lucky shot and slipped right past the plastic corrugated sleeve and poked a hole in the wire. With the normal wet weather around here it corroded over time and finally broke causing the P0449 code. After one week and another 720 miles it still is working.
Part number for the harness 15786741 and runs from the EVAP valve to the bulkhead on the right side of the body just forward of the fuel tank.
Hi Y'all!
Well, since the last time I was here and replaced the EVAP solenoid, things have been hit and miss. I could go days or weeks without getting the P0449 code and then the CEL would pop on. I'd run the scan tool and get the same thing - "Large Leak". Now, here's the weird part -
If I started the car with the remote start, 90% of the time I would get no CEL. If I started the car with the ignition, probably at least 50% + of the time, the CEL would light up. Needless to say, the remote start has received a strenuous workout.
But, after reading JWA's post, I guess I need to go back to square one and see if my wiring may be defective. I will say I did have one wire I had to splice, since it had been broken like JWA's. Looks like a new harness is in order as soon as the weather breaks around here. I just can't figure out the connection with the remort start and no CEL to using the ignition and getting a CEL.

Larry
Old 04-02-2014, 07:54 PM

hello everyone i am happy that i found this site since i have had a few problems with my hhr but all in all im happy withmy car. Now i need to find how to fix my recent problem witch is code po449 gonna do some reading now later, Gman
Old 04-04-2014, 06:03 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by slimmer
hello everyone i am happy that i found this site since i have had a few problems with my hhr but all in all im happy withmy car. Now i need to find how to fix my recent problem witch is code po449 gonna do some reading now later, Gman
The very first thing to do is type "P0449" into a Google search box. then explore a few of the resulting links.

The most likely problem is your gas cap, but not always. Could be either the EVAP purge solenoid (under the hood) or the EVAP purge valve (near the gas tank). Could also be a bad exhaust flex pipe (loud noise), bad exhaust flange gasket, cracked fuel filler rubber (various locations).

Also, try the SEARCH box at the top of any page here "P0449". That is a "zero".
Old 04-16-2014, 11:25 AM

2009 hhr ss

well ive replaced the fuel canister solenoid took the gas cap seal off and cleaned it like new and im still getting a p0449 coded is there something else i can do to be an easy fix?
Old 04-16-2014, 11:35 AM
Technical Moderator

NEW gas cap? Check the wiring harness, some people have repored broken or frayed wires.

Was the code cleared after the replacement?

May we assume that you already did a Google search?
Old 05-08-2014, 02:51 PM

I hope someone can help. Engine check light came on, replaced purge module under hood , didn't help , had dealer replace canister solenoid , light is still on . Mechanic said he didn't get any voltage to the solenoid but was not told to do any thing but replace solenoid so now they want me to bring back my 08 SS for a couple of hours to run down the problem , of course they charge $110 an hour plus shop fees etc. Does any have any ideas about how to fix this? I did check the fuse under hood , it was OK.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:33 PM
Technical Moderator

There are about 3,000 things that can make the Engine light come on. You MUST get a code number to do anything. NEVER tell a mechanic to do something for no reason, they will do it they will charge you (sometimes triple rate).
Old 05-08-2014, 06:20 PM

Last summer I was getting the same code. The dealer said it would cost around $1500 to replace the hose that runs between the gas tank and the engine and the other things associated with this thing.

I came to here and did a search and found that it might just be the gas cap.

My local auto zone did not have a new gas cap on hand so, while I waited for one to get here, I took my palm sander and some Scotch Brite cut to fit then stuffed a rag into the gas fill pipe and brought the rim of the fill pipe to a nice bright shine. I also cleaned the chunky stuff off the seal for the gas cap then put a dab of wheel bearing grease on the metal and put it all back together.

The code went away and has stayed away since. When the new cap came in I did put it on the car.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:21 AM
Technical Moderator

Another quick fix is to flip the rubber gasket on the cap.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EVAP Canister Vent Solenoid Valve Replacement