"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Fog light switch mod how-to.

Old 06-21-2008, 02:50 PM

Fog light switch mod how-to.

I don't know about anyone else, but I like driving with my fogs on. And since I'm lazy, don't like having to turn them on each time.

I was doing some other work and had pulled the waterfall off, apparently I switch the fog harness and the hazard harness. So my fogs were being turned off be the hazard switch which is an on/off switch, not a push button like the fog switch.

So I got to thinking if the harness has the same format(?) why not try to adapt a hazard switch for the fogs! Then I wouldn't have to turn them on each time; they'd come on when I turn the car on, and turn off when I shut the car off.

Part # 22724904; list price $17.50, paid $13.12

I'm going to borrow some pics used in other how-to's.
  1. Remove the waterfall and disconnect all harnesses. https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3870 Some of the pics are missing, but still will get you through it.
  2. Remove switch cluster. And the carefully remove the fog switch.
  3. Name:  DomeLite2.jpg
Views: 2181
Size:  65.4 KB
  4. Take the "button" off of the new hazard switch.
  5. Take the "button" off of the fog switch and put fog "button" on hazard switch.
  6. Put everything back together, and you now have an on/off fog light switch.
Thanks to the folks who's how-to's gave me the idea for this and posting the threads and images I borrowed!

Last edited by SindyDix; 08-05-2009 at 08:50 AM. Reason: as per request
Old 06-21-2008, 02:54 PM

Mike have you tested this yet? Doesn't the power to the hazards stay on even when the car is off so you can leave the car sitting in an emergency?

If this is the case, then won't your fog lights stay on even when you leave the HHR?
Old 06-21-2008, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by a76marine
Mike have you tested this yet? Doesn't the power to the hazards stay on even when the car is off so you can leave the car sitting in an emergency?

If this is the case, then won't your fog lights stay on even when you leave the HHR?
he replaced the fog light switch with a hazzard switch. The hazzard switch is a on off push switch unlike the fog light switch which yo uhave hit to turn on every time. The hazzards still work off the original switch.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by a76marine

No, all I did was switch out the switch. No re-wiring. The fogs turn off when the lights power down, just as they used to. Only difference now is that the switch itself stays in the "on" position.

Originally Posted by ballplr
he replaced the fog light switch with a hazzard switch. The hazzard switch is a on off push switch unlike the fog light switch which yo uhave hit to turn on every time. The hazzards still work off the original switch.
Right.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:05 PM

It's been a few days now, no problems and I LOVE not having to turn the fogs on! One of my new favorite mods.

Today I switched out the lights for a higher quality, much brighter and fits the opening better.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:30 PM

i wonder if this mod will work for the SS also?? after the mod does it make the button get any hotter than it already is?
Old 07-01-2008, 02:03 PM

I don't see why it wouldn't work. To test it, pull the waterfall and switch them. If the fogs still work that I'd say go for it.

No problems at all so far. I'm loving it!
Old 07-02-2008, 06:51 PM

i just pulled the waterfall off to try it on my SS. the connectors are different. they are close but slightly different. it also looks like the hazard light switch wont fit the the area where the fog switch goes. from what i understand you just simply swaped out the back side of the fog switch. my fog switch is alot smaller. im still debating if i should try it, looks like i can mod some type of bracket to hold the bigger switch in there.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:39 AM

will this mod let your fogs be on without having your running lights? So just fogs alone?
Old 12-18-2008, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Don Juan
will this mod let your fogs be on without having your running lights? So just fogs alone?
I think you'd have to figure out how to disable the running lights. But I don't see what not.

Six months later and I'm still not having any problems and the switch and fogs still work great.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fog light switch mod how-to.