Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Rear hatch won't open

Old 09-14-2011, 06:16 PM

Rear hatch won't open

I did a search but didn't find anything on this.
The rear hatch in my 06 won't open! When you push the button on the rear beauty bar nothing.... no clicking no noise....nada, nothing.

I checked the fuse (#10 in engine compartment) and it is fine. That fuse is shared with the sunroof, which works fine.

Any ideas??

Is there anyway to open this from the inside? I am wondering how hard it is to get open from the inside as both the button and the solenoid look like they are accessed through removing the plastic cover on the inside, which I assume you have to open the hatch to remove?

Help!
Old 09-14-2011, 06:19 PM
Technical Moderator

There's a TSB for it. Opening from the inside is covered in the manual. It is thru that oblong access cover (3"x1" apprx) and a screwdriver.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by esmarkey
Is there anyway to open this from the inside? I am wondering how hard it is to get open from the inside as both the button and the solenoid look like they are accessed through removing the plastic cover on the inside, which I assume you have to open the hatch to remove?

You will have to crawl through from the front, but if you look at the embossed ridges on the inside gate trim you will see one of them looks different...... It's a cover that can be removed.... there's a release inside that cover. (I think you need a screwdriver to get it though)

As far as the problem, check all the wires/connectors, if they are good I would say it's possibly the switch itself. You can test it with a meter, should just be a momentary contact switch......

Last edited by ChevyMgr; 09-14-2011 at 06:26 PM. Reason: fixed quote tags
Old 09-14-2011, 06:25 PM
Platinum Member

Try this........

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...ght=rear+hatch
Old 09-15-2011, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Thanks Snoopy!! That will help me get it open, then I need to find out how to get the entire panel off so I can check the switch...

donbrew, any more info on the TSB? Is that for getting it open, or the latch failure?
Old 09-16-2011, 12:04 AM
jx3

Originally Posted by esmarkey
Thanks Snoopy!! That will help me get it open, then I need to find out how to get the entire panel off so I can check the switch...

donbrew, any more info on the TSB? Is that for getting it open, or the latch failure?
The TSB is for the touch pad actuator. Dory had the same issue back in 05.

Here's a link to the original thread on this issue. TSB on page 3..........

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/rear-lift-gate-365/
Old 09-16-2011, 12:32 PM
Platinum Member

I'm only guessing at this, esmarkey, but I think your vehicle is out of warranty.....and the TSB is only an ADVISORY on HOW TO complete the repair. Doubt that your dealer will perform the repair without a charge.

So. if you are sure of which part is the failure, the repair can easily be done by you...without adding the cost of the dealer labor....or that may be your intent.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:03 PM
Technical Moderator

Getting the panel off is an adventure. Get the top stop light cover off, then on the bottom edge of the door you will see 2 or 3 plastic plug things to remove, then pry and pull the rest of the thing off.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
I'm only guessing at this, esmarkey, but I think your vehicle is out of warranty.....and the TSB is only an ADVISORY on HOW TO complete the repair. Doubt that your dealer will perform the repair without a charge.

So. if you are sure of which part is the failure, the repair can easily be done by you...without adding the cost of the dealer labor....or that may be your intent.
Definately out of warranty, I'm gunna try to tackle this one myself.
Thanks for th ehelp!
Old 09-19-2011, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Getting the panel off is an adventure. Get the top stop light cover off, then on the bottom edge of the door you will see 2 or 3 plastic plug things to remove, then pry and pull the rest of the thing off.
That's what I was looking for, Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear hatch won't open