"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

How to: Manual Liftgate Release

Old 02-12-2013, 07:45 AM

Because macarchie, sometimes your battery won't charge back up for one reason or another. I know. I'm off to replace the battery and maybe I can use this tutorial to get the stupid hatch open.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:30 PM

Yes, but nonetheless, if you have a boost source/battery attached to the system, the hatch release should work.. heck, even without a battery IN the HHR... then you can remove the boost source/ charger and go from there to replace the battery or whatever you need to do. If you put a boost/charge source on the car and it still won't respond, you may have deeper issues than the battery.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:00 PM

Let's see: macarchie asked a question last June which jennybrockman answered 8 months later. I think I posted this in another similar thread (also some time ago) but I would use this plugged into the OBDII port and the other end plugged into the port on my stand alone jumper. It would allow you to pop the hatch if the battery was weak:
Old 03-30-2013, 04:41 AM

Auto rear hatch ”tailgate”

I’m interested if somebody did an automatic opening "lifting" of the tailgate ”rear hatch” to the fully open position and power closing too.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:40 PM

OK... now I am too. I can see me trekking to the wrecking yard and pillaging a Expedition or Terrain or some such for the workings .... hmmm...
Old 05-10-2013, 05:42 PM

Opening rear hatch door.

Common knowledge in a auto salvage yard. They have to do it with a screw driver as there is usually no battery in junkyard cars. Just a matter of climbing in over the rear seats.

You can open the deck lid of most any car; you can pull out the back seat cushions and crawl into the trunk and open the deck lid the same way. There are some models though that do not have access to the trunk even after you remove the cushions.

Boydie Back in the Saddle

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Man...THANK YOU...

I was hoping, PARTICULARLY YOU, would come back and say it works.

I actually did ONE cartwheel ....my wife thinks I'm nuts.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:08 AM
Platinum Member

You're correct, Boydie, I've done it many of times through the years (and I have a very funny and unusual story to tell about one situation....but can't).

The thing is......for the past seven years, the time I have been on this forum, nobody has ever thought about doing it.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:21 AM

Manually opening the "Lift Gate"

Would you believe that I joined this forum just to thank you specifically for posting this -- 8.5 years ago!

I just had the battery go dead -- completely. When the parts store tested it, they couldn't even get a reading! As I still haven't received the new ignition switch for the recall, I thought that was part (or all) of my problem.

So, after looking in the users manual, and finding their instructions for opening the lift gate, I spent about 30 minutes trying to open the thing. After reading these instructions in this forum, I opened the gate in about 15 seconds.

I think the problem with the instructions as written in the manual, is that the people writing the manuals don't know how to do technical writing for people who are not "technicians". The 2 _vital_ pieces of information that are missing are the size of the screwdriver (you don't need the biggest on in the tool box) and the actual positioning of the tool to accomplish the release.

So, Snoopy, rest assured that even after 8-9 years, your helpful info is still helping other folks.

Eruadan
Old 07-20-2014, 08:50 AM

I have a lot of trouble with the rear door/lift not opening on my '08 Panel.

I intend to install a keyed lock on the lift to open the door. If/when I get it done I will post the info here.

Should be fairly easy. Perhaps someone has already accomplished this?

Poor design by Chevrolet.

Boydie

Originally Posted by Eruadan
Would you believe that I joined this forum just to thank you specifically for posting this -- 8.5 years ago!

I just had the battery go dead -- completely. When the parts store tested it, they couldn't even get a reading! As I still haven't received the new ignition switch for the recall, I thought that was part (or all) of my problem.

So, after looking in the users manual, and finding their instructions for opening the lift gate, I spent about 30 minutes trying to open the thing. After reading these instructions in this forum, I opened the gate in about 15 seconds.

I think the problem with the instructions as written in the manual, is that the people writing the manuals don't know how to do technical writing for people who are not "technicians". The 2 _vital_ pieces of information that are missing are the size of the screwdriver (you don't need the biggest on in the tool box) and the actual positioning of the tool to accomplish the release.

So, Snoopy, rest assured that even after 8-9 years, your helpful info is still helping other folks.

Eruadan
Old 07-21-2014, 03:56 PM

Would love to see that write up Boydie. Sounds like a good solution to a bad design...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to: Manual Liftgate Release