Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Another 'Engine Power Reduced' Thread...

Old 01-10-2011, 08:14 PM

Another 'Engine Power Reduced' Thread...

I have a 06lt that is out of warranty that is running poorly and I am getting the dreaded power reduced on the DIC. I have read several possible causes for this ranging from frayed wiring harness to corroded ground terminals behind the driver kick plate. The first time I scanned it, it was throwing 4 codes which I didn't get to save before my POS scanner died. Then when I scanned it about 1 minute later and no starts in-between it was throwing (2); P2135 and P1516(I think, I left the paper at home, for sure 2135 though). They were both throttle body and position sensor related. It should also be noted that when I scanned it the first time they were all throttle related also, I just don't can't remember which ones they were.

I don't want to start just throwing money at parts randomly if it is a electrical issue. I checked all the fuses and they were good and tight.

I pulled off of the kick plate and peeled the carpet and padding back and the connector connecting the cluster to the harness was good and sound, no damage or corrosion. I think I read on here in the TSB sticky area (#53) that moisture or corrosion in that connector was an issue. I am assuming the ground bar behind the kick plate is upper left of the connector and has two wires going to two pem-stud terminals is the ground bar that is discussed in a couple of threads. One of them looked corroded but it was solid...I should say I have a jeep, better known as a heap, that I have seen far worse and still function electrically. I metered it anyways and it metered good in my opinion...about 1 ohm from the exposed wire next to the crimp on the wire to the steel framing about a foot away. So, Is this the right Ground Bar? Does anyone have any pictures of theirs that they fixed or discovered? Also I noticed that the harness is run back under the carpeting on the floor. Are there any other connectors further back on the floor where water can get in? I don't want to peel the carpeting all the way back if I don't have to. I live in ohio and it is winter so I can imagine water is down on the floor on a regular basis.

I have to double check the frayed wire in the harness near the purge solenoid on the engine. I checked it, but did not completely check the area.

Any suggestions, feedback, pictures of your discoveries, or useful links of people correcting their similar issues would be great...

Thanks, Wayne
Old 01-11-2011, 01:34 AM
Premium Member

Hey Wayne, I don't know the answer to your delima but would like to say welcome................

Old 01-11-2011, 06:52 PM

Thanks...

No one has fixed there own car when they had this issue??? Has anyone ever been shown the corroded ground bar by the tech that fixed theirs? Any thing is helpful. Thanks
Old 01-11-2011, 11:08 PM
Deceased

Well Wayne its not that somebody hasn't had this same problem here, but maybe you should look in a different area. Since you got a P2135 which is a correlation problem with the throttle body and you might have a P1516 which is an actuator issue with the same part, I'd suspect a bad throttle body. Since your scan tool packed up on you, maybe your first step would be to go to a Pep Boys or Autozone where they can pull the codes for you without charge. Once you have an accurate read on the code/codes you can go forward. Since you've checked the various under dash connections they can probably be eliminated for now. Trust me, these things can frustrate the heck out of you until you nail the problem down. Keep us posted on the codes that turn up and I'm sure the pool of brains here can help you head down the right path. Before I forget, welcome to the group.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:32 PM

Reduced engine power can be caused by as simple a condition as battery drained down. It doesn't matter how old the battery is. It is caused by heavy winter electrical loads and short trips. Happened to me last winter. Happened to me this winter - in Yukon. Can happen in Ohio, too.

Be sure to check battery voltage or better yet a battery load test .... or charge it anyway.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:47 PM

Here in ohio we have had some cold weather so having the battery load tested sounds like a good idea and a good plsce to start. I have not had this problem but I have followed some of the post on this problem I still don't have a clear understanding of what fails on the trottle body but there seems to be alot of them getting replaced so I understand your confushion. welcome to the site lots of good info here good luck hope you get it figured out soon.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:22 PM

just happened to me 15 minutes ago - if it is the battery, what code will it throw?
Old 02-09-2011, 02:56 PM

In my case, they are telling me it is the throttle body issue...they "cleaned" the TB, but if it happens again - $180 for the part.

Honestly, for my buying a 1st year production 2006 HHR LT1 with 7 miles on it, and the only other issues being the rotors and a sagging rear wiper, I can't complain.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:07 AM

Happened to my 06 LT last week when it was about 12 degrees and according to Autozone, code was throttle body related. Swaped my battery out and drove it for two days with the temperature outside being in the fiftys and it ran great, I think it even ran smoother than it ever had. So yesterday temp in Dallas dropped back down to single digits and due to icing in roads I didn't use it. Today we are in the 12-14 degree range and this morning it happened again on my way to work. Is there a posibility that my battery could have gone out again? Or can it be something related to my heater since both times it has done it, I've had the heat on????
Old 02-10-2011, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Franco Fanfuria
Happened to my 06 LT last week when it was about 12 degrees and according to Autozone, code was throttle body related. Swaped my battery out and drove it for two days with the temperature outside being in the fiftys and it ran great, I think it even ran smoother than it ever had. So yesterday temp in Dallas dropped back down to single digits and due to icing in roads I didn't use it. Today we are in the 12-14 degree range and this morning it happened again on my way to work. Is there a posibility that my battery could have gone out again? Or can it be something related to my heater since both times it has done it, I've had the heat on????
here in Illinois this has been probably the coldest weather in a while - I venture to say the coldest since I have owned mine. I got a feeling it is just the weather cause the TB to stick a little and the computer senses it and shuts the engine down. My gut feeling is that in our cases, it is not a big deal. It is the mechanical part of the TB not responding 100% to the electronical part of it, and thats all it is.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another 'Engine Power Reduced' Thread...