Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Replacing rack and pinion

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 09:55 AM

Replacing rack and pinion

Well, I finally got around to replacing the rack and pinion on my '06. I bought a used one for $50.00 off eBay. I wanted a new or rebuilt but was told that there simply are no new ones to be had and there are only two places in this country that rebuilds them and I have been on the waiting list for about 4 months so I went with the used part.

It was simple enough, just took quite a bit of time to figure out how to get the universal joint between the steering shaft and the pinion shaft apart. Finally brute strength and a small pry bar did the task.

I had to call my younger brother to get 'er done though. I seem to lack the physical strength to do some of this stuff anymore. Maybe I should start eating Wheaties and pumping iron?

I took a lot of pictures with my android tablet and have some video as well and if I manage to figure out how to get them on the computer here I will see if I can figure out how to post them here.

I did find a youtube video on how to remove one from a Cobalt but they say to remove the rack and pinion from the passengers side and that does not work on the HHR, it has to come out the drivers side.

So now I'm off to Firestone to have it aligned again.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:29 PM

Sometimes I sure wish I actually knew what I am doing. There will be no photos or video of this event.
I tried to just put the SD card out of the android into my computer to transfer the pics and vid but the computer seems to have reformatted the SD card,... there is nothing on it now.

Maybe if and when the rebuilt rack and pinion are available I will try again to get at least some pictures. I guess I should have e-mailed them from the tablet to the computer, at least that way I might have them now.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:01 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by Grizzly old man
Sometimes I sure wish I actually knew what I am doing. There will be no photos or video of this event.
I tried to just put the SD card out of the android into my computer to transfer the pics and vid but the computer seems to have reformatted the SD card,... there is nothing on it now.

Maybe if and when the rebuilt rack and pinion are available I will try again to get at least some pictures. I guess I should have e-mailed them from the tablet to the computer, at least that way I might have them now.
I have a solution for that! Get Dropbox it is free. Pics will automagically go from your Android to your computer as soon as it connects to a network. PM your email and I'll send you a link, that way I get some extra space. But you can just go to dropbox.com from your computer, then DL the app from PlayStore for the Android.

Have you checked the Android's system memory? The pics might be there.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:28 AM

Any chance yo could post a link to that youtube cobalt video. I can't seem to find it.

Thanks
Old 01-15-2015, 01:22 PM
Administrator

? youtube cobalt video??
Old 01-15-2015, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
? youtube cobalt video??
no kidding eh??? pretty sure I said I couldn't find it.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:41 PM
Administrator

I was just confused as there is no mention of a cobalt video in this thread, so that's why I'm not able to locate it for you, sorry for the confusion.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:44 PM
Platinum Member

Oldblue. Pretty sure PURENEWF is talking about this from post #1 : quote "I did find a youtube video on how to remove one from a Cobalt".

Problem is post #1 is about 18 months old. The video or link may be outdated.

Oldblue. Remember what your 3rd grade teacher said to the class ? Don't skip over anything when your reading !!!.......................
Old 01-15-2015, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Oh that video

and part 2

Old 01-15-2015, 01:54 PM

thanks guys. all is good.

Quick Reply: Replacing rack and pinion