Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Key Stuck in Ignition Problem

Old 06-26-2007, 11:31 AM

Angry Key Stuck in Ignition Problem

I have a 2006 HHR LT. Recently, when I turn off the car and put it in park the key will not come out.

Here is a usual scenario:

1. Start car and put in drive or reverse, car doors automatically lock

2. Stop car and put in park, car doors automatically unlock

3. Key stays locked in ignition and I can not remove them

I find myself repeating steps one and 2 at least 3 to 4 times before being able to remove the key.

Anyone else have this issue?
Old 06-26-2007, 12:05 PM

Oh yeah, common problem. Junk the car

But no really, there is a fix for it a bulletin was issued and a lot of us have had the car transmission interlock replaced under warranty.
Here is the other thread with info on the topic.
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/ignition-jamming-3947/

Print out a post or two with the part number in it and bring the print out to the Chevy dealer when you get it repaired. I did that and had no further problems after the fix .

Chevy acknowledged the problem, but had to have it happen to them when they looked at it. That took a little time, but the car broke on cue
Good luck!

Oh yeah, WELCOME TO THE CLUB!
Lots of great folks and info here. Enjoy modify your car and post pictures!

The HHR has a few teething pains but is overall a great car. I hope you enjoy yours as much as we enjoy ours!
Old 06-26-2007, 08:36 PM

Welcome to the forum
Old 06-26-2007, 08:50 PM

Info from a friend of mine regarding how to get key out if it is stuck.

I did find a lil trick on the ignition key being stuck in the "on" position when my battery died. Once it was dead the key would not go to the off position and was stuck in the ignition. Well, it was late and I decided to wait until the next morning to deal with it but I did not want to leave the key in it. Low and behold on the bottom side of the steering column there is a small square pop off. Using a flat head screwdriver I popped it off and there is a release there so that you can turn the key to the off position and release it from the ignition! Just a lil helpful hint in case anyone else has this problem....
Old 06-26-2007, 08:56 PM
Platinum Member

Hey Deb...don't give to much credit to that friend. Especially when it's covered in detail in the Owners Manual. All people need to do, is read it (I'm on my rampage AGAIN, about the Owners Manual).
Old 06-26-2007, 09:00 PM

Name:  welcome4.gif
Views: 7281
Size:  5.6 KB to the site birdswitharms!!!
Old 06-26-2007, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Hey Deb...don't give to much credit to that friend. Especially when it's covered in detail in the Owners Manual. All people need to do, is read it (I'm on my rampage AGAIN, about the Owners Manual).
I understand about the owners manual Snoopy...I'm one of those guilty of not reading it either. If info is online, I'll read it...as I'm sure others do as well...but I haven't read the online manual either.

Guess it's easier to ask others instead of reading the manual...we're all guilty of that at one time or another.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:06 AM

Fixed

It took all of a week, but my problem was resolved. They had to order the part from Tacoma in order to fix the interlock issue.

Also, they gave my wife a Chevy Uplander as a loaner and now she wants one. One thing, she mentioned that she liked the Uplander to the service guy and he said, "Yeah, you should really consider getting one. We hardly ever see them in here. I can not say the same thing bout the HHR."

Regardless, I still love the car. Thanks for all the advice and tips!
Old 07-02-2007, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by birdswitharms
It took all of a week, but my problem was resolved. They had to order the part from Tacoma in order to fix the interlock issue.

Also, they gave my wife a Chevy Uplander as a loaner and now she wants one. One thing, she mentioned that she liked the Uplander to the service guy and he said, "Yeah, you should really consider getting one. We hardly ever see them in here. I can not say the same thing bout the HHR."

Regardless, I still love the car. Thanks for all the advice and tips!
Well it makes sense for them to try and sell the Uplander since they make more money on it!

Plus they sell in record LOW numbers so there simply are not thea many around to go into the reapir shop.
y local dealer sells a LOT of HHRs and has only sold three Uplanders since its introduction None on the road = none in the shop, or something close tot hat

We just went through a two month period of mini van hunting and came out on the Dark Side with a " Domestic" of sorts, a Honda Odyssey made in Alabama by rednecks!
The domestics failed us and our needs. We really wanted a Chevy Astro AWD but Chvy ceased production on it in 2005. The Uplander had a lot of downsides to us and our needs, so we passed.

Too small, seats do not fold into the floors anywhere, poor access tot he rear from the sliding doors and lots more. Its sister minivans are selling horribly too from what I hear. Gm is like a generation or two behind in the minivan arena, I think it is because it has concentrated so much on getting minivan folkss into SUVs and stopped all research and development on minivans.
Heck, Ford gave it up last year, so no Ford or Mercury Minis any more. Chrysler is the only one making new advances with their new platform up redo of their minivans.

More on our decisions etc here:
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/lounge-10/dumping-our-suv-going-back-minivan-8355/

if you are interested. But please, keep the HHR if it fits your lifestyle. It is an optimized piece of engineering not a compromised piece of.........like the Uplander

Here is an interesting video with a seven minivan comparison. The Uplander is quite consistent in its rating,.....dead last.....
http://www.drivingtelevision.com/Car...os.php?ccID=24
Old 07-02-2007, 11:06 AM
Platinum Member

And, it's going to be discontinued.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Key Stuck in Ignition Problem