General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Small contractor setup

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 08:18 AM

Small contractor setup

I'm a small electrical contractor and just bought a used HHR as a secondary vehicle. Fuel costs are seriously hitting the bottom line so this will be used to carry a few tools and materials to site. The truck will still be used to carry the heavy and bulky stuff.

I talked to a friend who is a GM mechanic and he says the HHR will work okay as long as I don't load it down too much. He said to limit the weight to the equivalent of three passengers.

Anyway, I am looking for ideas for small parts organization, bins, etc., nothing too elaborate. Ladder storage will probably be on the roof. I don't want to look like a moonlighting, trunk slamming electrician so I'll probably bite the bullet and install the factory rack and a small Rocket Box for a 4' stepladder.

Any suggestions?
Old 04-11-2014, 08:27 AM
Technical Moderator

500 pounds is no problem, I have hauled 800 pounds 700 miles before. Look in the Owner Manual or the tire placard on your driver door for the "Official" limits.

There is at least one company out there that makes all of those "work" accessories. And check the "classifieds" here, I seem to remember somebody trying to sell a tray not long ago. The factory roof rack will not be able to carry much weight, like a 8' aluminum ladder would work.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:21 AM

Welcome to the site This company makes a slide tray but I think it is for a panel van. Not sure about a hhr with rear seats. www.adriansteel.com
Attached Images  
Old 04-11-2014, 09:29 AM

Welcome to the site. When we wwere cleaning out a storage locker we loaded both of ours to the brim and some of the tripw were not light. They both did fine no problems. A couple of time I could tell that the acceleration mwas a little slower but breaking was fine. With the ability to fold the back seats down you can pack a lot of stuff in them.
I hope this helps.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:49 PM

Welcome Blobbo,

Did you know the pass seat folds flat and you can put really long stuff in ( like ladders )and keep "stealthy".
You didn't mention if its a panel or windowed. I have both. The windowed one I got first has 5% tint from B pillar back and 20% on driver and pass. That does a great job hiding the toys.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:19 AM
Premium Member

You can slip Cavelier air bags into your rear springs to eliminate bottoming out. 10 pounds seems to be enough.