Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

What's with Tires???

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 07:17 PM

What's with Tires???

Today I attempted to buy two new snow tires for my daughter's '91 FWD Caddy. She has brand new summer tires on the front. I wanted to have them rotated to the back and the new snows put on the front. Dunn Tire wouldn't do it - says I have to buy four new snows. Told him no way, have been driving for 40+ years and this will be fine. Would't allow it - but CATCH THIS - says I could buy two if I put the new snow tires on the BACK. Now that makes a ton of sense - put the snows on the non-drive wheels.

Doesn't end there - Went to WalMart - wouldn't sell me two - told them I'd sign a Waver - she checked and "yes we can sell two- but they must GO ON THE BACK!

Two years ago I had an AWD GM Safari and got a slice on the tire. All tires were like new - they wouldn't sell me one tire - told me I had to buy FOUR! This was at SAMS Club.

Has the world gone completely nuts? This bit about equal wear or something? Well, we all know the fronts wear out first with cornering, drive wheels, etc. What happens 20,000 miles down the road when the equal wear isn't there?

I finally called a local dealer and he's installing them tomorrow AM. (On the FRONT)

For the record, I have snow tires all around on my HHR and I do like them, but I don't believe there is a law requiring me to have them all around.

As Chevy Mgr. states "Some things I know...." I'm convinced I don't know or understand a damn thing anymore......
Old 09-29-2009, 07:22 PM

That does sound goofy-I have heard it recommended, but not required...
Old 09-29-2009, 07:26 PM

sams

i can understand the sams deal . don't they sell everything in bulk ?....but all the others are full of it......the sad part is that there are so many people that don't know any better and will be ripped off
Old 09-29-2009, 07:57 PM
Founding Member

Now theres a different angle on marketing to a customer. A real sales minded person thought that one up as a way to sell 4 tires instead of the customers desire to buy 2. If it's a law, shame on New York.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:02 PM

One reason I am not in the tire biz anymore. I spent nearly 19 years with Discount then all of these BS rules started coming across and we were forced to lie and tell people its Govt. mandated. Truth is; after the Firestone fiasco the bigger companies started to sacrafice customer service for liability. Although UTQG, NHTSA and the big three tire manufacturers only RECOMMEND this, there is no law in this country that enforces that.
I have started doing business with a new tire company here locally; TIREMAX. They have great tires at competitive prices and offer a great warranty. They also will recommend the right way to mount your tires and back it up with scientific evidence as to why, but will not tell you "they can't"
I'm done!
Old 09-29-2009, 08:49 PM

Good tires to the back.....

I did read a very good article once on why your bad tires should be on the front, even on front wheel drive. It made a compelling case. If you have bad fronts, you will plow straight ahead in understeer, which is a self regulating process as it slows you down as the tires slide sideways. Once a slow enough speed is reached, the tires start gripping and you get control back. In the worst case, you'll hit something head-on with the front bumper. In bad weather, bad front tires on a front wheel drive car will make you NOT go, which is better than not being able to stop once you get going. If you put the bad tires on the rear, you get oversteer, which requires you to correct it or you have a wreck....going sideways or backwards. In other words, being able to steer your fronts doesn't help if you cannot control the rear. I know this as I have hydroplaned twice in my life, and spun an SS Monte Carlo on ice, and no control of the rear leaves you helpless (first hand experience here). There was a lot more info and testing in the article. I think R&T did it. It goes against what I would have thought, but it was compelling evidence. Since the article, I have only added four new tires each time - it just worked out that way. Now, should the tire dealers dictate where your tires go? No!
God Bless, Marc
Old 09-30-2009, 12:13 AM

Okay. I have read all of the posts in this thread. I will not answer any futher questions or counter any comments by individuals just wanting to read and see their posts in this thread.
The DOT has many times in as many years stated that when purchasing new tires it is recommended that it be done in complete sets of four.
However, when dictated because of finances only two tires are purchased for a vehicle they should always be installed on the rear of that vehcile.
That's it, end of dicussion.
Now it is not the law, but a seller could be sued if only two tires were purchased and installed on the front of a vehicle, waiver or not.
If something is completely wrong waivers don't hold up in court.
Sam's and big companies don't have the time to properly educate all of their customers on all of the ins and outs of liabilities they may face for every action they need to put in place so that they don't get sued by sue happy individuals. Nor do they want to let these individuals know what they are vulnerable to.
Be real here. Do you want people suing you for frivolous actions? I think not.
Now with that said if you can't understand importance and significance of the DOT directive please go to Department of Transportation and do your research. I am sure that there will be a few nay sayers here but these would be the very people that would be the first in line to sue and a say no one told them.

Last edited by ChevyMgr; 09-30-2009 at 06:29 AM. Reason: admin edit
Old 09-30-2009, 12:19 AM

Take the wheels off the car and take them the rims only, thats what i do.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:42 AM
Platinum Member

Best prices when I bought my last tires were from tire rack. Could have bought 1, 3, or however many I wanted.. (Hope that hasn't changed w/them ?). Been a few yrs since I bought those..
Old 09-30-2009, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by harleysshhr
Okay. I have read all of the posts in this thread. I will not answer any futher questions or counter any comments by individuals just wanting to read and see their posts in this thread.
Little aggressive? And you're the same guy running different size rims on his car. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

Last edited by ChevyMgr; 09-30-2009 at 07:48 AM. Reason: fixed quote tag

Quick Reply: What's with Tires???