Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

HHR poor handling/goes left and right. No problems found

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 05:12 PM

HHR poor handling/goes left and right. No problems found

Hello I'm new... and at wits end with my HHR.
2011 just over 100k miles. I bought it with 42k miles.

No wrecks. No damage or worn parts found by any shops. But the car darts left of right when it encounters variations in the roadway surface.... but it doesn't follow the crown of the road either. On a long sloping righthand turn, it wants to go straight and ride uphill into oncoming traffic. You always have to be on your game and never relax your grip or you'll find yourself in the oncoming lane or off the shoulder. Shop said there's no adjustments in this vehicle to try and correct any geometry issues. Sometimes I swear the chassis is flexing to the point the alignment changes with the pitch of the road.

This is the first electric steering car I've owned and haven't been able to test drive any others. Is this normal? (Surely, I hope not.) All steering components have been tested/calibrated.

Has anyone experienced this? Please help.

​​​​​
Old 12-31-2017, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, check the lower control arm rear bushings, inner and outer tie rod ends, and hubs. It not unusual for them to wear out a that mileage.
Old 12-31-2017, 06:21 PM
Technical Moderator

Not unusual for shops not to know where to look for the LCA bushings. Has nothing to do with EPS.
Old 12-31-2017, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Welcome to the site, check the lower control arm rear bushings, inner and outer tie rod ends, and hubs. It not unusual for them to wear out a that mileage.

Thanks, but it's been doing this the whole time I've owned it. No problems found.
Old 12-31-2017, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Not unusual for shops not to know where to look for the LCA bushings. Has nothing to do with EPS.
Thanks, but it's been doing this the whole time I've owned it. No problems found.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:14 PM
Technical Moderator

Then they obviously are not looking at the right places!

Why ask us if there is no solution according to your mechanics?

The LCA bushings are very hard to visually inspect. I have pashed inspection with totally worn out bushings.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:21 PM

Ok, I'm a bit confused. It seemed like you were saying there was a problem. Maybe it's been fixed and you're warning others?

If there is still a problem... The LCA bushings certainly could have been worn out when you bought it. Unusual at that low miles, but far from unheard of. LCA bushings are not part of the steering system, so if the shop only checked steering components, then they would have missed it.

I'm also adding sway bar end links to the list of suspects, also not part of the steering, and often the first parts to fail.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350

Ok, I'm a bit confused. It seemed like you were saying there was a problem. Maybe it's been fixed and you're warning others?

If there is still a problem... The LCA bushings certainly could have been worn out when you bought it. Unusual at that low miles, but far from unheard of. LCA bushings are not part of the steering system, so if the shop only checked steering components, then they would have missed it.

I'm also adding sway bar end links to the list of suspects, also not part of the steering, and often the first parts to fail.
thanks for the additional info! For clarification I say no problems found, I mean no worn Parts no damage nothing broken found by the shop. The poor handling behavior is still ongoing. I will have my shop look at those things that you mentioned thank you
Old 01-01-2018, 08:50 AM
Administrator

These were diagnosed as ok the two piece bushing has just 40,000 miles on it.

Two piece OEM bushing in the left, replacement Moog K200792 bushing in the right. Resolved my twitchy steering issue!
Old 01-01-2018, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Then they obviously are not looking at the right places!

Why ask us if there is no solution according to your mechanics?

The LCA bushings are very hard to visually inspect. I have pashed inspection with totally worn out bushings.
"Why ask us?" Because the handling is atrocious and was hoping to hear from this forum that there may be a known flaw... even if very rare... with these HHRs. I appreciate everyone's help. I really do. These shops test drive it and can't experience the symptoms. They inspect it and can't find any worn parts. So I'm looking for a hail Mary fix. I know at this mileage (now) a front end overhaul wouldn't be a bad thing... and I will start there.

Quick Reply: HHR poor handling/goes left and right. No problems found