General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Gouged Chrome

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 08:34 PM

Gouged Chrome

I was driving down a main road the other day and had a small stone get kicked up onto my grill. It never hit the hood or glass, but left a small gouge in the top section (the wide top piece). Of course my son walked by the car and it's the FIRST thing he notices! You can see the white plastic underneath. Does anyone know of a way to repair this type of damage? I have the satin chrome finish. Thanks for the replies that I know will come!

Last edited by Firewatcher; 06-14-2006 at 07:10 AM.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Firewatcher
Does anyone know of a way to repair this type of damage?
Two words, billet grille. I dont think there would be any way to fix it without replacing it or having it re-chromed.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Firewatcher
I was driving down a main road the other day and had a small stone get kicked up onto my grill. It never hit the hood or glass, but left a small gouge in the top section (the wide top piece). Of course my son walked by the car and it's the FIRST thing he notices! You can see the white plastic underneath. Does anyone know of a way to repair this type of damage? I have the satin chrome finish. hanks for the replies that I know will come!
I think someone has a satin finish for sale on ebay. I think the asking price was $50. Might be chaeper than trying to fix and probably look better, at least it would if I tried to fix it.

Hope this helps, Mike

Its someone from the forum heres the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-...spagenameZWDVW
Old 06-13-2006, 08:43 PM

Mike...I believe it's CJ who has the one for sale on eBay.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:43 PM

Customers who come into my store ask this question a lot, (there's a lot of chrome-plated plastic on cars these days) and the cost of the repair tends to turn people off. I'd find a local deler who does chrome plating, or visit an online resource such as:

http://www.classiccomponents.com/plastic.htm

Fixed 'n dipped... May I suggest a body-color grille mod at this point? Sindy's turned out awesome!
Old 06-13-2006, 10:38 PM
Deceased

Originally Posted by courthousedeb
Mike...I believe it's CJ who has the one for sale on eBay.
it is
it is and it has a bid
Old 06-14-2006, 12:08 AM

i'm gonna have to bid on cj's grille again. Please leave it alone...I want it for a new "mod"...lol.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:10 AM

Thanks for the responses. It's gonna be hot today so as I sit in the air conditioning, I will stare out the window at my baby and ponder my options.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:56 AM

Sorry to hear of your plight.
We are all only a stone a way. There will be many more posts of the same.
My Buick grill needed relplacing after only a year Made of the same garbage, nice looking chrome PLASTIC I love the look, but an aluminum beer can is more durable!

You have the same color as we do, Sport Red AKA "maroon". I really like the way chrome works with it. Black too, but chrome really sets it off.. I purchased a lower billett grill because the car needs a lower grill and Chevy chose to ignore this issue. I will match it with an upper grill when our grill has the same problem as yours

I just can't see the red working on the grill as well as the white does on Sindy's. Otherwise I'd say paint the grill. Black may look good however.
Here is a quick Photoshop Black grill:

Oh, ignore the hood ornimant, unless you want one, then contact me!

Still, I think chrome or something shiny and bright just looks best.
Good luck. I'm sure it'll be looking great in no time! Hey, at least with this car we have a lot of option!
Old 06-14-2006, 10:28 AM

Wow, love the black grill Harpo, makes me wanna do it to mine. Not sure about the gold bowtie tho, kinda sets it off TOO much.

BTW: Can't you combine your sig pics on one line so it isn't taking up so much space (i.e. put the flame gathering demon thingy to the right of your HHR pic)?