Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

HHR Bolt Pattern

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 07:55 AM

Old 10-20-2007, 07:19 AM

Name:  welcome4.gif
Views: 10306
Size:  5.6 KB to the site Biggiedog70!!! Any pics of your HHR yet?
Old 04-09-2009, 10:47 AM

Question help me!

I am trying to find some aftermarket wheels myself, and the bolt pattern thing is messing with my head.

If I measure center-to-center across opposite studs (which is across the "star" of a five-lug pattern), I'm getting 105mm on my 2006 HHR.

I checked a reference on the 'net, and it says to measure from center to the opposite side of the bolt hole, which gives me 110mm. That seems right.

Here's my situation:

I've got two "Universal" wheels, one with a 114mm pattern and one with a 118mm pattern. I can get both of them on the HHR, and the studs bend out just slightly when I tighten the nuts, but otherwise seem to work great..

I'm not holding anyone liable for their answer, but I seem to have a lot of friends that don't seem to care about the bolt pattern so long as the wheel goes on and the lugs tighten up.

How dangerous is this?
Old 04-09-2009, 11:09 AM

My $.02........You're looking for trouble.
Wouldn't recomend not using the correct pattern wheel ie 5x110.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:57 AM

Insane

Originally Posted by ctommy
I am trying to find some aftermarket wheels myself, and the bolt pattern thing is messing with my head.

If I measure center-to-center across opposite studs (which is across the "star" of a five-lug pattern), I'm getting 105mm on my 2006 HHR.

I checked a reference on the 'net, and it says to measure from center to the opposite side of the bolt hole, which gives me 110mm. That seems right.

Here's my situation:

I've got two "Universal" wheels, one with a 114mm pattern and one with a 118mm pattern. I can get both of them on the HHR, and the studs bend out just slightly when I tighten the nuts, but otherwise seem to work great..

I'm not holding anyone liable for their answer, but I seem to have a lot of friends that don't seem to care about the bolt pattern so long as the wheel goes on and the lugs tighten up.

How dangerous is this?
to bend the studs to make a wheel fit is insane........you could sell the wheels , or put them on something that they fit correctly...... i didn't know danger had degrees....... it is either dangerous or it is safe.... bending studs is dangerous.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:30 PM

whatever you do, don't drill out the stud holes to "make it fit", too. A customer of the tire shop I worked for tried this

larger picture

once we got the wheel covers off (and took appropriate pictures), I wouldn't even let my tech drive the car out of the shop, but we didn't lay a finger on it after seeing this.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:12 PM

Thanks, guys

I appreciate your comments! It didn't seem right to me to use wheels that "almost fit", but apparently a lot of people do that.

As far as "degrees of danger" go and whether something is safe or unsafe, I'm in the fireplace business and there is a definite difference between the danger of ruining a control valve and danger of burning down your house.

I won't take the risk on either one, because that's my livelihood and I don't want either one on my conscience (or in the papers!), but trust me, a lot of people feel free to do some dangerous things.

Thanks again!

P.S. I'm selling the wheels, check out the classifieds soon, but DON'T buy them for your HHR!
Attached Images  

Last edited by ctommy; 04-09-2009 at 03:22 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 04-09-2009, 04:06 PM

Here's some useful info...

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/...jsp?techid=92&
Old 04-09-2009, 04:19 PM

now I'm REALLY confused

Thanks for the tech info, Jeffs396.

Unfortunately, that information does not agree precisely with the other source I was using which is here: https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html . This makes me a little concerned. I was having a tough time already .

The technique for measuring the 5-bolt pattern is different on the http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/...jsp?techid=92& Wheel Tech Link, and if I remember high school geometry correctly, will yield slightly different results.

Using the measurement diagram on the Tire Rack link, my stock HHR wheels measure 5x108mm.

Any recommendations? Do I need a new metric ruler?
Old 04-09-2009, 06:07 PM

sorry

sorry to hear that those don't fit. i can understand your dissapointment. those are some nice lookin wheels. but the good news is , i don't think you'll have problem selling them. i would think they would sell good on craigslist. anouther option you have is to buy some adapters. you can get good , safe adapters for about $120. i got some to put newer rims on my 67 mustang fastback.

Quick Reply: HHR Bolt Pattern