Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Car not turning off when brake stepped on- remote start

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 08:35 PM

Car not turning off when brake stepped on- remote start

Stepped on the brake by accident when getting in the HHR the other morning and the car did not turn off like it is supposed to.

Issue I should worry about? Is this something covered under the powertrain?

Goose
Old 01-19-2009, 09:45 PM

I dont think thats a problem per-say... Sara's HHR has remote start and every time i get in i step on the brake before i put the keys in the ignition... (habit from owning standard trans my whole life) I'm almost positive that you can pretty much do anything except unlock doors from the inside, put the car in gear, and mess with the radio... Also if the ac or heat is on, the default with the auto start is defrost.. Oh and I have found out that if you start with remote and shut the car off with the remote, it will not start with the remote again unless the car is started with the key... As far as the car shutting off if the brake is pressed, really isn't a problem if you ask me.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:08 PM

OK, I actually went out to the car to try this--turned on from in the house (love that!), went out, stepped on brake, nada--car is still purring along waiting for me to insert key, open the sunroof and go someplace...

Is it supposed to turn off??!!
I know to RTM, but didn't feel like digging it out of the bins.

Now I'm curious...

@
Old 01-19-2009, 10:27 PM

i didn't think it was supposed to cuz mine never has i thought it was it you turned on the hazards and then stepped on the brake it would turn off?
Old 01-19-2009, 10:37 PM

it wont let you take it out of park. tested that theory today.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:51 AM

Ok good to know..maybe it is other cars with after market remote starters that this happens with. I know on my wife's Vue and my mother's new Corolla that if you step on the brake before you put the keys to the on position it will kill the engine. probably because I've been showing her how to work the remote start I got it in my head that is how it happens all all remote start cars.

Goose
Old 01-20-2009, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Goose
Ok good to know..maybe it is other cars with after market remote starters that this happens with. I know on my wife's Vue and my mother's new Corolla that if you step on the brake before you put the keys to the on position it will kill the engine. probably because I've been showing her how to work the remote start I got it in my head that is how it happens all all remote start cars.

Goose
Yep the aftermarket systems tend to kill the car if the brake is pressed, but not the OEM ones on our HHRs.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:49 AM
Banned

I think GM didn't include the shut-off upon brake feature because most owners instinctively apply the brakes while starting the car. Maybe they thought it could cause issues later. The other thing about the system is you cannot increase the time that the vehicle is running on remote start. This was designed so that if someone left the vehicle in a garage or enclosed space you wouldn't get accidental CO exposure.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:59 AM

Ok Crafty, thanks for that info as that was going to be my next question......to see if I could increase the time but guess not. What is it...10 minutes?

Goose
Old 01-20-2009, 07:15 AM

Here's an iteresting thing. A while back I was going to jump start my pickup from the HHR. I had the hoods open, and my keys in the pickup. I figured I'd just remote start the HHR from the truck so I wouldn't have to pull my keychain apart. NOT! The HHR won't remote start with the hood open.

Quick Reply: Car not turning off when brake stepped on- remote start