Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

wanting change radio

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 07:56 PM

wanting change radio

I have a 2007 hhr lt 2.2, it is equipped with a pioneer system with sub but without the onstar.

I got car 3 months ago factory radio been locked(shown across screen) I took to dealer n found out not original...

I am purchase a pioneer aftermarket but I don't know what adapter I need to keep the pioneer sound and all chimes working??

also I would like know if possible I can do it myself
Old 11-30-2014, 09:25 PM

There are a bunch of different chime replacement thingy's you can buy, just do a search on search on eBay.

While I am not completely sure about keeping the stock sub woofer working I'm pretty sure if you just get the right pigtail to go between your aftermarket radio and the stock socket in the HHR all will be just fine. Its my understanding the sub has its own amplifier so just plugging your replacement stereo into the socket should do the trick.

Shortly after we got our HHR the speakers went bad. I replaced the stock radio with an old Clarion I had been using in my garage using an eBay pigtail.

My '06 HHR does not have the optional sub woofer and things worked great for me except that the wife had concerns that the chimes no longer functioned.

Like I said since it was just my speakers to begin with I was able to replace them then put the original stereo back in where it had been and all is good now.

If someone has replaced the stock stereo you will need the VIN number from the donor vehicle and even then the dealer may not be able to make the radio work. Without the VIN number you just have a nice door stop.

Its not to hard to remove the 'waterfall' on the dash where the stereo lives then its a simple job to remove the screws that hold it in. I got the double din to single din stereo install kit to put my clarion in with. I stuck my 2M FM ham radio where the removable cubbyhole could have been located but since have remove it and mounted that to a bracket that goes under the front of the seat bolts.

I had the cubbyhole thing in the car for a few weeks before I put the 2m rig in and have to admit I kinda miss the cubbyhole.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:48 PM

Depending on the radio you get you may also have to cut some of the thin plastic behind the dash. Since your radio is not original it may already be cut. Make sure the radio and the adapter you get share the same functions. If you get a radio with navigation make sure the adapter will support it. If you get a more basic radio you can get a much cheaper adapter. Not having onstar make things much cheaper. You might want to pull the radio to see what if theres any aftermarket stuff back there already. Or if the prvious owner did a hack job on the harness. You'll need an antenna adapter and a mounting kit as well. If you like the combo idea there are stores on ebay that sell radios with all the adapters for your vehicle as a set with one price.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:14 AM
Technical Moderator

Why didn't the dealer just match the radio up to the BCM for you?
Old 12-01-2014, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Why didn't the dealer just match the radio up to the BCM for you?
Without the VIN number from the car the replacement radio comes out of you cant just flash the BCM with any random number to get it to work.

It has to be the actual number from the vehicle it came from and sometimes that doesn't even work.

I bought two replacement radios from sellers on eBay and neither of those could be programed to work in my '06. The dealer 'lost' the post-it note that had the VIN number for the first stereo so I ended up with door stop with that one, the second one I sold on craigslist because the VIN number had been scratched on the top of the radio.

The dude that bought the second one got it to work fine in his HHR. I really wish I had thought to scratch the number into the metal of the first radio when I got it now.