Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

A/C growl

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 01:23 PM

A/C growl

Mines in the shop for the A/C growl, I initially took it in June 8th and they ordered the parts. They called me back June 18th and said the parts were in so I took it in the next day. Today I called them to ask when it would be done today and they said they had gotten the wrong parts in and it won't be ready until tomorrow.

The Silverado Enterprise gave me had just under 1/2 of gas and they told me I didn't need to worry about gas as they marked the outcheck sheet 1/4 tank. But as a previous chevy truck owner I know that last half of a tank goes a lot faster than the first half. I have a 28 mile round trip to work. I sure hope they get it ready tomorrow.

Makes me wonder what parts they ordered that took 10 days and then how did they get them the same day.....
Old 06-20-2007, 02:44 PM

Wouldn't you think that after all this time, and knowing that this A/C growl on the HHR seems to be an ongoing problem, that the dealers might just start keeping these repair parts on hand??
Old 06-20-2007, 04:18 PM
Platinum Member

You know, even if they don't keep the required a/c parts on hand, you would think they would have enough reading ability to use the part numbers quoted on the TSB.

Solman....my guess, they had the correct parts...but used them on someone elses vehicle. Happens all the time in dealers, if it's a short supply part.

Last edited by Snoopy; 06-20-2007 at 07:02 PM.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:15 PM

My Wife's HHR has been making that noise since last Summer, but it doesn't seem to bother her! It annoys the heck out of me whenever I go anywhere with her though. I'd forgotten about it during the Winter, but now that we're back in "Hell" again here in Arizona, it's A/C time again. I probably should have it seen to though.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:24 PM

I had the parts changed out a month or so ago.

It's still noisy, but not as bad as it was with the factory parts on it.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:39 PM

OK, I've been reading about this growl for over a year. WHAT does it sound like, ( growl, I get that, but really...?)

Is it always present when the AC is running?

Does it vary?

Why don't I hear it?

Are most HHRs OK and just some having issues?

Inquiring mind wants to know.

I have the suspect year, and my car makes a little more noise when the AC is running, but nothing upsetting. If you know me and my noise tolerance issues from previous threads, then you know I'd be picky.
SO I guess Mine won't break until it is out of warranty. That's the way things work in my world anyway

Last edited by Harpozep; 06-20-2007 at 11:11 PM.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:33 PM

To me it's more of a high pitched whine than a growl, and I only hear it during acceleration when the A/C is on. Once you're just cruising along it sorta disappears. At least I don't hear it any more. That's how it is in our case anyway! To me a Growl would be more of a deeper sounding noise. I guess if you don't hear anything strange ,you don't have the problem. It's hard to miss, at least to me!
Old 06-20-2007, 09:35 PM
Platinum Member

I agree with Alzonie's description...I would add the sound is more like 2 cats getting ready to fight....more like a whining noise.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:12 AM

Mine actually had a growl to it. It was not always there. It did speed up with the motor and seemed to be worse during hotter times (afternoon verses morning). Sometimes you would barely hear it and others, very noticable. Hope fully I will get it back today, don't mine the SIlverado, just don't want to have to feed it.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by solman98
Mine actually had a growl to it. It was not always there. It did speed up with the motor and seemed to be worse during hotter times (afternoon verses morning). Sometimes you would barely hear it and others, very noticable. Hope fully I will get it back today, don't mine the SIlverado, just don't want to have to feed it.
Mine also had a growling noise to it, and was intermittent. It was also worse during the hot periods as well.

I first took it to the service dept where I purchased the HHR. The shop manager actually came out and claimed it was normal. Hence, no repair. But they did attempt to correct the water leak in the front passenger. And after returning the car to me with the interior greasy and stained and two days late, I left and never turned back (and then it still leaked).

Anyway, went to another service center and they fixed both problems. The AC noise is literally gone (or sounds like any normal AC system now). Hope it does not leak anymore.....

Quick Reply: A/C growl