Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

2008 rusting

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 05:41 PM

My son took his 07 into the dealer last fall and they re-painted all four doors. He had over 36k miles but the service manager said rust was covered for a longer time.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Laco
Years ago when I lived in Michigan, rust was a major problem on any car. There are better rust resistant materials today, but with salted roads nothing is perfect or forever. I would have the doors fixed, since existing rust will only spread, and be sure the door drains are open, and make sure there is no bare metal exposed.
For sure get it fixed as if it is done properly it will be no worse.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by prod
I just had mine in to be redone, originally "fixed" in october. After the winter the rust was more prominent along the whole bottom of the front doors. The district service manager had to be involved with the repeat repair.
I told them this would happen, but apparently all they can do is strip the paint and repaint it. I asked about some kind of anti-rust gelcoat like they use to restore old cars, but they said "primer is primer".
Their opinion is that water gets in the door, seeps around and back up the seam. I think its possible the top of the seam is attracting dirt and moisture as it felt porous when new. Not sure what the cause is, but apparently it has to be fixed every few months with a repaint.
If I had it to do over again, I would have just touched up the bubbles myself. As it is I will spray in some rust check and hope for the best I guess.

After his was fixed, it got worse.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:07 PM

I've herd storys about the bottom lip of the doors.
haven't seen it yet but I wash mine often and dry off the door jams and seals every time to keep the rust Gremlins away. )
Old 07-01-2010, 10:40 PM

The second paint job on mine seems to be holding up well so far, but its only been a few months. They also put some kind of oil film rust inhibitor over top of it. I asked if they put any inside the door, but they didnt. I think Ill put some rust check spray in there next time I have the door panels off.

Originally Posted by SHADOW(IN)
haven't seen it yet but I wash mine often and dry off the door jams and seals every time to keep the rust Gremlins away. )
I have a feeling if I took more care drying the door seams after washing the problem wouldnt be as bad. I think an air compressor would be best for drying out any crevices.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by SHADOW(IN)
I had it happen on my GTP rear door and my GMC. I clean, Dried and waxed them weekly, sometimes more than once a week. It still happened.

The problem starts in the fold. I cleand and painted my own since it was out of warranty. The truck lasted 12 years before it got any worse and the car is still holding up. gound it of and used Por 15 to seal it then painted over it.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:57 PM

I'm a newster guys so please bear with me, I'm located in Michigan and know very well what a Michigan winter can do to a car. I came across this thread and to be honest this seems a bit unusual for rust this early on for a modern day car with galvanized panels, seam sealant & modern paints. Has anyone discovered the root cause? Is the sealant not doing it's job due to poor adhesion and/or quantity or is the galvanizing not getting to the pinch weld areas at the door seams to protect.

Back in the day when trucks could develop complete rust-thru in as little as 2 years, we had a rust proofing place that was know for it's product which NEVER solidified completely and would creep into crevices and seams like magic. Sounds like a good product for this problem. I think they're still in business, perhaps a call is in order.

What with all the rebates & such I'm looking at a new HHR although this concerns me. Has the problem been solved or is it a ticking bomb?

Motoretro

Last edited by motoretro; 07-07-2010 at 08:31 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:53 PM

It hasn't been solved, although it seems as if this usually doesn't happen to most people. I live in Michigan, and it's on mine...and it's only seen 2 winters...I store it in a pole barn in the winter. Other people in Michigan don't have this issue.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:52 PM
Platinum Member

No problem here with rust... But here is an answer for those w/rust.. :http://www.por15.com/whatispor15.asp
Old 07-08-2010, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by motoretro
I'm a newster guys so please bear with me, I'm located in Michigan and know very well what a Michigan winter can do to a car. I came across this thread and to be honest this seems a bit unusual for rust this early on for a modern day car with galvanized panels, seam sealant & modern paints. Has anyone discovered the root cause? Is the sealant not doing it's job due to poor adhesion and/or quantity or is the galvanizing not getting to the pinch weld areas at the door seams to protect.

Back in the day when trucks could develop complete rust-thru in as little as 2 years, we had a rust proofing place that was know for it's product which NEVER solidified completely and would creep into crevices and seams like magic. Sounds like a good product for this problem. I think they're still in business, perhaps a call is in order.

What with all the rebates & such I'm looking at a new HHR although this concerns me. Has the problem been solved or is it a ticking bomb?

Motoretro
This is the deal. The metal is folded over and the surface coating is either not gettin put on or it is knocked off in the MFG of the door. This is why some only have two doors with the issue and two that are fine.

Also it is not just an HHR issue. It is seen on other GM cars from time to time.

It is not a time bomb. It is a light surface rust and will grow slowly. Yes in time it will cause issues but it's not going to be a massive hole in 5 years. If anything it will leave an ugly surface if you look under there.

The HHR door folds under so we can see it better, most other cars the door is not folded as far and it is seldom seen by the owner.

In most cases by the time it gets worse you will have some rust in other areas like the Quarter panel etc that will over shadow the issues here.

I would still get it fixed under warrranty as it has a very good chance to stop it if the work is done properly. Note it still could come back in some cases.

We have Honda's, Toyots's and Fords with less than 5 years on them here with rust. So GM is not the only one with issues.

If any car is with no warranty just grind and sand off the rust and seal the door with Por 15. Then paint over it. Just don't get it on your hands or the floor or it will be their for a long time. It seems to only rust on the surface and it is easy to repair if need be.

This is not like the days of old where the drain holes were clogged and the rust came from deep with in and by the time you saw it you had a hole already.

The info I have on where it is coming from is from the Body Shop guy at at GM dealer that has been dealing with these. He hates it too.

Quick Reply: 2008 rusting